The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone used the 3.4 180mm APO with a tc?

docmaas

I'm wondering how well the 180mm would work with a tc either a 1.4x or a 2x.

Anyone have experience?

thanks,

Mike

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I ve used the 2X with the 180 3.4 apo and would use it only if it was the only way to get the shot. First it makes the working aperture a 6.8 which is quite dark and generally with a 2x ..you need to stop down a little to get reasonable quality.

You have to be careful with the 1.4x as the lens elements of the extender go up into the lens itself. I would have to look to see if you can mount the lens at all. The 1.4x is generally preferred in that its a one stop loss.

The best combination I have found is the 180/2.8 apo and the 1.4 x extender. This is an expensive solution but works extremely well with little loss of IQ. It also focuses quite easily as its a effective f4 .

With that said I used the 180 3.4 and the 2x at the 96 Olympics and would never have got the shot without it.....so having it in the bag is worthwhile.

I know people that have tested the 2x and found that the differences between the apo and pre apo versions were small. The pre apo 2x can be found for pretty low prices.

robsteve

Subscriber
Mike:

Only the 2x works with the 180mm f3.4 APO.

As Roger mentioned above, it works well enough, but the new 180mm f2.8 APO is better with either extender.

Robert

zonevt

I have the APO 180 2.8 lens which I tried with the regular 2x and it was not good......I recently bought the APO 2x and get much better results. Here is a photo taken last week with the DMR APO 180 and APO 2x wide open at 5.6. This was handheld.

docmaas

Thanks to all. I have the Minolta 200 HS G APO for my sony and will probably stick with that. I tested it yesterday with the 2x and standalone and found it a little bit disappointing but it may have been more the conditions of late afternoon, hazy ocean atmosphere.

Mike