Site Sponsors

Thread: Vertical line in Leica M8

leica007

Vertical line in Leica M8

I recently purchased a Leica M8.

It shows a very thin VERTICAL LINE at very ISO and dark/underexposed photos.
    Is it a dead pixel/vertical banding problem? [ Two samples, normal and after curves manipulaiton, are attached]

Can you find any other problem in the photo, which I - having migrated from FILM M cameras - have missed?

Please share your opinion and let me know if I need to send the camera to Solms for repairing. Thanks.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vertical line in Leica M8

Quote Originally Posted by leica007 View Post
    I recently purchased a Leica M8.

It shows a very thin VERTICAL LINE at very ISO and dark/underexposed photos.
    Is it a dead pixel/vertical banding problem? [ Two samples, normal and after curves manipulaiton, are attached]

Can you find any other problem in the photo, which I - having migrated from FILM M cameras - have missed?

Please share your opinion and let me know if I need to send the camera to Solms for repairing. Thanks.
    I had a very early copy of the M8 with the same problem. That camera was returned to Leica. I don't think that the issue with your camera is going away by itself. I would have it repaired... I hope it's still under warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue with an M8.2 I bought. I sent it back and had it exchanged with my dealer. You will have to send this one in for repair.
    Leica M8, M9 & Lens Reviews!
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the repair is fairly quick. They simply re-map the sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a fairly coimmon M8 defect. The Leica forum has quite a bit on it. Search by "red line." I just went through this with an M8 demo and returned it.

John