The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica m9 rgb can only get

fotografz

srgb in raw, what gives any one know the answer . To get rgb color space? thanks David
RAW is RAW which contains all the "RAW" data captured by the sensor.

It is the post processing software that "interprets" it. You can set sRGB in the camera's menu, but it is meaningless since you can set any color space you want when converting the RAW file to a tiff or jpg after making any corrections in the RAW processing software.

However, setting the color space in-camera is relevant when shooting jpgs. sRGB is a truncated color gamut compared to RGB, so I recommend RGB for initial processing corrections that gives you the most data to work with ... even if you save it as a sRGB for the printed file.

RE shooting RAW: while I process the adjusted RAW files as 16 bit, Pro RGB color space Tiffs for further work in Photoshop ... I process large amounts of "final" wedding photos to Jpgs in sRGB color space because most printing labs and inkjet printers use sRGB color space.

If doing more art type projects, including for larger prints, I leave it as a 16 bit, RGB color space Tiff and let the inkjet printer's software do the conversion to sRGB.

Hope this helps,

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Same here for me Marc. I process in 16 bit Pro RGB for my finals and than run a action for clients in srgb jpegs for viewing and there printing. I give them both actually and mark the tif's for offset.

The M9 you can set RGB in jpeg mode only or Srgb

Stuart Richardson

"RGB"...that's a pretty general name...is it an accepted color space, or is it just the camera profile? In the M8 and DMR there were Adobe RGB, ECI RGB and maybe ProPhoto in the DMR?