The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Service

Scargos2

My M8 light meter was not working very good, was giving me bad setting.
Send my camera in on Fri ,Lecia received it on Monday(was told 3 weeks for a repair) The following Tuesday My camera was shipped second day UPS.
This is really fast service IMHO.

darkspark

I'm thinking about sending in my M8 for a minor repair too. (Leica USA, NJ)

How did you ship the body? (in its original retail box? I'm afraid it'd get damaged in the mail.) How was the repair costs?
I'm thinking about letting them do the sensor cleaning as well, since I'm sending it in anyway. Is it a bad idea? I heard it costs too much, but does anyone know how much exactly?

Thanks,

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I would wrap it in bubble wrap and put it in a genorously larger box, also full of chips or bubble wrap. That's pretty much how they'll send it back to you anyway.

I wouldn't use the original packaging as there's no guarantee that you'll get it back.

Insure it with the carrier for the full value of the camera regardless of how you send it. I also insist on a delivery signature too.

The other approach is to let your dealer do it for you (make 'em earn their money!). That's what I did.

Scargos2

I used USPS and bubble wrapped it did not send original box, cheap and had it insured. I sent my camera out on Fri and Leica received the camera on Monday.
My camera was still under warranty and used N. J Leica
Call them for a price.
Cleaning you senor is very easy, I use the lens pen. Cheap and very easy to do. First blow out the senor (holding the camera upside down, so dust falls out). to remove any grit and or dust and then use the lens pen, I have used it many time on My canon and on my M8 with no problems
The senor is like your lens glass , not frail as some people think it is.