Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica Service

Post Thanks / Like

Leica Service

My M8 light meter was not working very good, was giving me bad setting.
    Send my camera in on Fri ,Lecia received it on Monday(was told 3 weeks for a repair) The following Tuesday My camera was shipped second day UPS.
    This is really fast service IMHO.
    Sunny Florida Rick of Fla

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica Service

I'm thinking about sending in my M8 for a minor repair too. (Leica USA, NJ)

How did you ship the body? (in its original retail box? I'm afraid it'd get damaged in the mail.) How was the repair costs?
    I'm thinking about letting them do the sensor cleaning as well, since I'm sending it in anyway. Is it a bad idea? I heard it costs too much, but does anyone know how much exactly?

Thanks,

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would wrap it in bubble wrap and put it in a genorously larger box, also full of chips or bubble wrap. That's pretty much how they'll send it back to you anyway.

I wouldn't use the original packaging as there's no guarantee that you'll get it back.

Insure it with the carrier for the full value of the camera regardless of how you send it. I also insist on a delivery signature too.

The other approach is to let your dealer do it for you (make 'em earn their money!). That's what I did.

Post Thanks / Like

I used USPS and bubble wrapped it did not send original box, cheap and had it insured. I sent my camera out on Fri and Leica received the camera on Monday.
    My camera was still under warranty and used N. J Leica
    Call them for a price.
    Cleaning you senor is very easy, I use the lens pen. Cheap and very easy to do. First blow out the senor (holding the camera upside down, so dust falls out). to remove any grit and or dust and then use the lens pen, I have used it many time on My canon and on my M8 with no problems
    The senor is like your lens glass , not frail as some people think it is.
    Sunny Florida Rick of Fla