The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where would one order an M9?

mwalker

Subscriber Member
B&H is not actually that big on Leica volume except maybe with point and shoots.

People get on multiple lists all the time, and whichever dealer gets the M9 first will get the order. This is unfortunate...a dealer that works hard for your business should actually *get* the business.

We have talked to Leica about registering customers, so that they actually ship to dealers with real orders. But it is unlikely they will implement such a program. Instead, they ship to whatever dealer is next in line when they have product.
I can see where a dealer could get mad as hell over this. I paid a deposit which moved me up the list above the non deposit people. I was told by the end of the month I would get one but I'm not holding my breath.

ampguy

At launch time the target was 700/month, and a follow up interview indicated 1000 M cameras (incl. MPs, M7s, etc.) a month.

Did things change?

Either they are building up a quantity of inventory so they have a buffer, and they will start shipping regularly; they are shipping the majority of product to Europe/Asia (or the Moon or Mars) or they aren't shipping.

The number I heard is 280 dealers in the USA (anyone know if that is accurate?) If they actually can build 1000/month, they could ship 28% of that to the USA and it's still only 1 per dealer per month.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
1,000 per month is the manufacturing capacity, according to the videos around the M9 launch.

Estimates are that 20-25% of those are allocated to the US. That's where Robert (Monza) came up with his numbers above - that would be about 200-250 M9's entering the US per month at full capacity.

After the first 20 that hit the first week, and a small trickle on the third week after launch, I have not heard of any other M9's getting to the US.

So either Leica is not yet manufacturing at full capacity, or allocations are going to other regions over the US.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
We've been receiving small, but steady shipments every week since the first shipment. Every week I keep hoping for more than the last, but alas, the trickle continues.

I'd estimate that less than 100 M9s have actually come in to the US at this point.

Apparently, this is a supply chain hold-up. Kodak CCD fab capacity is limited and hasn't been able to produce enough sensors to satisfy the manufacturing demands at Leica.

I'm optimistic that the production bottlenecks will be sorted out and that we'll find more M9s hitting our shores soon.

David

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks for the update David - that certainly explains a lot. Glad to hear that the "trickle" continues, as I haven't seen many people pop up with a new M9 lately.

Mike

C

canon5dshooter

Anyone seen another few M9's in the states? I'm getting jealous of all of those current M9 shooters!

robsteve

Subscriber
People get on multiple lists all the time, and whichever dealer gets the M9 first will get the order. This is unfortunate...a dealer that works hard for your business should actually *get* the business.
These are also the same people that end up with two cameras from different sources and then try to sell of the other rather than take the hit on returning it.

During both the DMR and M8 introduction I saw more than one post from people who where on multiple lists and got multiple cameras, as both dealers shipped on the same day.

This practice of ordering from multiple suppliers is not right and probably morally wrong, if you do not intend on taking delivery.

People really need to build a rapport with their dealer. If you have that connection, you just ask the dealer to get you a M9, and then pay for it when it comes in.

Robert

C

canon5dshooter

I would pick one of the major dealers who has a list, get on it and put up a deposit.
I have one on order I just wanted to know if anyone has seen any more units show up state side or if there was any additional news on their arrival.

Cheers

mjm6

One last thing...

There's lists, and then there's deposit lists. I'm thinking that there may be a faster way to get one if a deposit is placed. Anyone know if there are any reasonably short deposit lists out there? (PM me with some info if you can).

---Michael

gogopix

Subscriber
"How many DPI members does it take to put in a lightbulb?"

[...and I thought the question was "where can I buy an M9?"....35 posts? hmmmm]

but it IS fun....:LOL:

Victor

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I was told end of the month..well I am holding my breath :eek:...no M9..I wish I hadn't used my M8 as a deposit. I talked with Camera West and other than a demo to play with they have received zero M9's. So wouldn't try there. They did say however, that Leica told them that they would take care of their backlog by the middle of December... believe it or not.