Site Sponsors

Thread: Where would one order an M9?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Where would one order an M9?

Ok, so I figure that there's very high demand for the M9 out there, and I've never been too involved in the whole business of getting in on a 'new' product, and certainly never on a Leica product so...

If I were to place an order, are there dealers in the US that are more likely to be fed by Leica than others?

I don't mind waiting a little while, but I don't want to have my name on the list right now and not get it until after the (what sounds like inevitable) price increase that is going to come at the end of the year.

My experience recently has been mostly with National Camera, and I'm happy to give them my business but I don't want to be hurting my chances of getting one by the end of the year.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Where would one order an M9?

I think it's a good idea to develop a relationship with a local dealer. You live in Colorado, and I have no idea where the closest Leica dealer may be, but that would be a good place to start.

If you are comfortable with mail orders, I can tell you at least three Leica dealers read these forums regularly: David Farkas of Dale Photo and Digital in Florida, Monza in Texas and Sean Cranor of Camera West in California.

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There's a third Leica dealer here on the forums - Robert Jagitsch (Monza) of Precision Camera in Texas. All three are excellent to deal with.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 for Camera West...I've purchased all of my Leica equipment from them and a large format printer....I'm in Kentucky

http://www.camerawest.com/locations/
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And one big thumbs up for Tony Rose at Popflash.com

tonyroth

I do think that you are on to something though, one has to imagine that Leica distributes back-ordered product in line with the sales volume of each dealer. Not speaking from any experience, but this would be consistent with most manufacturer practice.

Post Thanks / Like

go to the leica home site and you can look up dealers and maybe fine one near you.
    I like B&H , Classicconnection and Tamarkin where I purchased My M8
    Sunny Florida Rick of Fla

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I posted yesterday, but I guess it didn't go through...

I have heard that one of the bigger deailers mentioned has a waiting list of 70 people right now. Even if they are getting 10 per week (NOT) then that is two months. It's far more likely that they might get 1-2 per week for a while.

I guess one big question is how many people have their name on multiple lists... If the average person has their name on more than two lists, then the lists will pretty rapidly collapse as the cameras begin to be delivered (with every one delivered effectively removing a person from several lists at the same time).

---Michael

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    And one big thumbs up for Tony Rose at Popflash.com
    +1 I'm on Tony's lists for both an X1 and M9....

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hatam View Post
    There's a third Leica dealer here on the forums - Robert Jagitsch (Monza) of Precision Camera in Texas. All three are excellent to deal with.
    I second Monza at Precision Camera in Austin. They'll treat you with Texas Hospitality.

Unfortunately as a Texas resident, the 8.5% sales tax makes me go out of state for such a big ticket item. I save enough for a Luigi case.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

Tony from Popflash is top rated but too bad he is in CA and uncle Arnold needs your tax $. I bought two lenses from Tony previously and had them shipped to Texas . That's the good thing about shuttling between two places.
    Last edited by AGeoJO; 14th October 2009 at 09:24.

tonyroth

I would be very curious to know who has 70+ backordered. I spoke with B&H monday -- they are by far the largest leica dealer in the world so it would stand to reason that they have the longest list, though that may not be the case bc as I understand it they won't take your name and put it on the list unless you actually pay for the camera which i would imagine would dissuade quite a few -- and they only had 8 units on backorder, 4 black and 4 grey (or so that was what they told me).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just curious why you think B&H is the largest Leica dealer in the world?

I'm sure they are the largest Canon / Nikon /etc dealer in the US, but I would be very surprised if they were the largest Leica dealer.

I've spent time in their store, and they don't carry much Leica gear, and don't have Leica experts on staff.

There are other, more "Leica focused" retailers even within NYC, such as Photo Village.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

tonyroth

Well, simply that they told me that earlier in the week. But sounds like the rep that told me that might have made it up out of thin air? But it would make sense though, wouldn't it, given the overall distribution role they play in the industry and the overwhelming percentage of their sales that come in via internet and telphone (worldwide for that matter) rather than in-store sales? As an example, I was speaking with the rep about the 21 and 24 luxes and he checked his computer and said he had "at least 10" of each in stock. Seems like they must be doing considerable volume to stock that level of inventory, no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tony - yes, it's certainly possible, and you're probably right. I was just surprised by this, as I consider Leica gear to be more of a "niche" market, where local dealers with expertise would be used more than high volume internet dealers.

Thanks for the background info.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hatam View Post
    Tony - yes, it's certainly possible, and you're probably right. I was just surprised by this, as I consider Leica gear to be more of a "niche" market, where local dealers with expertise would be used more than high volume internet dealers.

Thanks for the background info.
    I've had Tony or Alex at Popflash call me if there was question about an order and once when I put one in before they opened and another late in their afternoon. They call to tell me they were refunding the shipping on the second order because they pulled the first one before it was picked up and consolidate the orders. That won me over as a very loyal customer.

Mike Johnston

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

B&H is not actually that big on Leica volume except maybe with point and shoots.

People get on multiple lists all the time, and whichever dealer gets the M9 first will get the order. This is unfortunate...a dealer that works hard for your business should actually *get* the business.

We have talked to Leica about registering customers, so that they actually ship to dealers with real orders. But it is unlikely they will implement such a program. Instead, they ship to whatever dealer is next in line when they have product.

It's now October 14, over a month since launch. They supposedly can build 1000 M9s a month. So where are they shipping them? Or are they...

Post Thanks / Like

Monza, I've wonder the same thing. On LUF somebody is mapping known purchases and the map is pretty sparse. Of course not every Leica owner belongs to LUF, so that map is not a good benchmark. But still... for all the people on-line who say they are on lists, etc., not many people seem to be getting their M9's. I really don't want to read anything into this or imply anything, but my OCD brain does ponder these things...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Either they are building up a quantity of inventory so they have a buffer, and they will start shipping regularly; they are shipping the majority of product to Europe/Asia (or the Moon or Mars) or they aren't shipping.

The number I heard is 280 dealers in the USA (anyone know if that is accurate?) If they actually can build 1000/month, they could ship 28% of that to the USA and it's still only 1 per dealer per month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, since they put it in an email to me, I figure I can report that Popflash informed me that they had 70 in the list.

I'd really hate to be on the back end of a price increase simply because they couldn't delivert the cameras in due time. Or maybe that was part of the plan... get the buyers all lathered up by getting a hundred or so on the street but before actuallly delivering any real volume, push though a price increase. I think I'm not that cynical to belive that!

---Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    B&H is not actually that big on Leica volume except maybe with point and shoots.

People get on multiple lists all the time, and whichever dealer gets the M9 first will get the order. This is unfortunate...a dealer that works hard for your business should actually *get* the business.

We have talked to Leica about registering customers, so that they actually ship to dealers with real orders. But it is unlikely they will implement such a program. Instead, they ship to whatever dealer is next in line when they have product.
    I can see where a dealer could get mad as hell over this. I paid a deposit which moved me up the list above the non deposit people. I was told by the end of the month I would get one but I'm not holding my breath.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

At launch time the target was 700/month, and a follow up interview indicated 1000 M cameras (incl. MPs, M7s, etc.) a month.

Did things change?

Either they are building up a quantity of inventory so they have a buffer, and they will start shipping regularly; they are shipping the majority of product to Europe/Asia (or the Moon or Mars) or they aren't shipping.

The number I heard is 280 dealers in the USA (anyone know if that is accurate?) If they actually can build 1000/month, they could ship 28% of that to the USA and it's still only 1 per dealer per month.
    My Photography Blog here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

1,000 per month is the manufacturing capacity, according to the videos around the M9 launch.

Estimates are that 20-25% of those are allocated to the US. That's where Robert (Monza) came up with his numbers above - that would be about 200-250 M9's entering the US per month at full capacity.

After the first 20 that hit the first week, and a small trickle on the third week after launch, I have not heard of any other M9's getting to the US.

So either Leica is not yet manufacturing at full capacity, or allocations are going to other regions over the US.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know I'm about number 80 a list for one.

Mike Johnston

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We've been receiving small, but steady shipments every week since the first shipment. Every week I keep hoping for more than the last, but alas, the trickle continues.

I'd estimate that less than 100 M9s have actually come in to the US at this point.

Apparently, this is a supply chain hold-up. Kodak CCD fab capacity is limited and hasn't been able to produce enough sensors to satisfy the manufacturing demands at Leica.

I'm optimistic that the production bottlenecks will be sorted out and that we'll find more M9s hitting our shores soon.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David:

All I want is one...just one little camera!
    Best to all,

Reynolds

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the update David - that certainly explains a lot. Glad to hear that the "trickle" continues, as I haven't seen many people pop up with a new M9 lately.

Mike
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
    David:

All I want is one...just one little camera!
    Reynolds - I can sell you a point-and-shoot, if that will help
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like

So apparently most of the US M9s went to people on this board. Kismet or conspiracy?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike, my D-Lux 4 is not getting the job done for me....help, David!!
    Best to all,

Reynolds

canon5dshooter

Anyone seen another few M9's in the states? I'm getting jealous of all of those current M9 shooters!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would pick one of the major dealers who has a list, get on it and put up a deposit.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These are also the same people that end up with two cameras from different sources and then try to sell of the other rather than take the hit on returning it.

During both the DMR and M8 introduction I saw more than one post from people who where on multiple lists and got multiple cameras, as both dealers shipped on the same day.

This practice of ordering from multiple suppliers is not right and probably morally wrong, if you do not intend on taking delivery.

People really need to build a rapport with their dealer. If you have that connection, you just ask the dealer to get you a M9, and then pay for it when it comes in.

Robert

canon5dshooter

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    I would pick one of the major dealers who has a list, get on it and put up a deposit.
    I have one on order I just wanted to know if anyone has seen any more units show up state side or if there was any additional news on their arrival.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One last thing...

There's lists, and then there's deposit lists. I'm thinking that there may be a faster way to get one if a deposit is placed. Anyone know if there are any reasonably short deposit lists out there? (PM me with some info if you can).

---Michael

Post Thanks / Like

"How many DPI members does it take to put in a lightbulb?"

[...and I thought the question was "where can I buy an M9?"....35 posts? hmmmm]

but it IS fun....

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was told end of the month..well I am holding my breath ...no M9..I wish I hadn't used my M8 as a deposit. I talked with Camera West and other than a demo to play with they have received zero M9's. So wouldn't try there. They did say however, that Leica told them that they would take care of their backlog by the middle of December... believe it or not.
    Mike