Site Sponsors

Thread: I've relaunched my website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've relaunched my website

Everything in the post may not be new to most of you, but I thought I would share my experience in putting together a website. I'm computer literate but not a geek. I don't speak html and don't care to learn, and don't have the time to master any of the web authoring software.

I've had several goes at a website - I put together a .mac site some time ago. It's slow and not very flexible, and of course as of July is no longer supported by Apple. I hired a professional developer to deal with some of my images which are organized as triptychs and have captions. She solved these problems but her design was otherwise lackluster - I've never gone live with it. And of course I've experimented with flickr and other similar sites, but layouts are noisy and there is not a path to develop a more personal or personalized approach.

I had subscribed to hosting service a few years ago; got my own domain (www.woodycampbell.com) and a number of similar domains; but I couldn't really figure out how put a website on it. So I set up a redirect at woodycampbell.com to my .mac home page. That's how it worked up until a few days ago.

I spent the last couple of days working with a Lightroom add on called The Turning Gate which permits you to develop a home page and galleries all within Lightroom. It's extremely flexible, which contributes to a steep learning curve and in the end you have to figure out what the file structure is on your server and how the various modules inter-relate, all pretty much on your own. (The "Websites for Dummies" types of books don't go into these basics; the help function on my web hosting service was very rudimentary).

The payoff having mastered it is that I can upload new galleries from Lightroom and they are automatically integrated into my site, with no incremental effort over the effort involved in editing the images in the first place.

The author of The Turning Gate recently reported that he would be off line for a bit because he was graduating from college and is moving. Go figure.

Over the next few weeks I'll add some fairly extensive text and work on some behind the scenes stuff to make the site easier to find.

Now the point of this post: have any of you had any experience, good or bad, with Lightroom web add-ins? Now that I have some idea of how it works I'd very much like to push the site up to the next level.

Finally, to our moderators, I put this post here out of affection for our Leica shooters and respect for their judgment - if there is a better place please feel free to move it.

You can find the new site by clicking through the link below my signature.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: I've relaunched my website

Woody I looked at your site and I like it, I like your photography too. I also ended my site (two days ago) and I'm looking for an alternative. Do you have a link to their site? Keep us up on how you progress.
    Mike

website under construction

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody - those are fantastic images on your site!

Congrats,
    Mike
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like

I use fotoplayer pro for my website, it is a lightroom add-in but I've found it needs quite a bit of html/xml knowledge as the pre-set defaults don't always get imported and I get rubbish like "trial version" on some of my stuff if I don't manually edit it. I honest to god purchased a pro license

It has a shopping cart system linked to my paypal. It isn't very elaborate, eventually I would like to add a way for people to visualise the size of their print, maybe a diagram. Adding extra pages and galleries is easy and I've disabled a LOT of stuff as I simply haven't had time to properly impliment it.

http://www.aeos-photo.com.au Almost all taken with my leica R lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Last weekend I also bought TTG Pages and a template called High Slide for the galleries from the same author. I've been looking around for quite some time and the plugin called TTG Pages in found the best and easiest to use so far. My only problem was to find a way to easily save the changes I made.

The "TTG Pages" plugin just created the pages (Home, Gallery Index, About, and Contact by default) and you have the option to add a couple of others to the menu which you have to create manually yourself. The galleries itself, which require a separate plugin, can be uploaded to a directory within the structure TTG Pages creates and is automagically added to the page Gallery Index. You can use any gallery template for the galleries itself. These can be bought/downloaded separately. Lightroom itself provides some in the default install.

I find the TTG Pages plugin quite flexible in some ways but rigid in others. Many webdesign decisions are already made for you. You can tweak colors, fonts, some distances or placements. But for example I haven't found a way to make the menu align vertical instead of horizontal.

I'm still working on my new homepage. The current one is made with SlideShowPro which has also a plugin for Lightroom available, btw.

Edit: I almost forgot to say how much I like you collection of photos! Really nice. This is what it is really all about in the end.
    Maarten Boerma
    Portfolio MaartenBoermaPhotography
    Weblog SoulPixels

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody, impressive everything; I have seen a lot of your rangefinder experience through this forum but never your work so finished as in this site.

congratulations

Post Thanks / Like

Woody, Like the work, but having a little bit too long a load time from image to image on my end.
    I have tried on 2 different DSL srvers and have asked another friend to check on his.

dennis
    http://dennishearne.visualserver.com/index.cfm?bhcp=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thrice - thanks for the reply - nice images on your site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mwalker and Maarten. The Turning Gate = TTG. TTG Pages and TTG Galleries are exactly the modules that I used, using the "Whiteout" templates, modified as you see them on my site. Actually very slick.

I'm assigning more descriptive keywords to the images in LR and saving them to the files. This is resulting in some key word proliferation. For search purposes t's useful for me to keyword "Russia" and "St. Petersberg" but much less so to keyword "The Hermitage". so I'm collecting all of the detailed keywords under a "Web content" master key word. I assume that after I write the keywords to the files and upload them, the keywords end up in the jpegs on the site, but I'll research this.

A question: does anyone know the syntax to make my email address act like a live link to the user's preferred email program?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Half frame - Thanks. I've specified jpeg high quality 1300x1300 images, which is large by web standards but seemed to make sense given that most of the images print on 24x36 or so paper. If this makes the site too slow for most people I'll have to reconsider a smaller file size.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    A question: does anyone know the syntax to make my email address act like a live link to the user's preferred email program?
    If you look in the template called "Dark city - pages", you can find a sample in the copy text of the Contact page:

email: <a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a>

Hope this helps,
    Maarten Boerma
    Portfolio MaartenBoermaPhotography
    Weblog SoulPixels

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's an example of HTML that will hide the actual email address allowing you to make an email link for just your name (or whatever text you wish):

<a href="mailto:[email protected]">the Author [Dave]</a>

The words between the second and third carrot will appear as a link and when activated, the user's email client will open with the correct email address in the "To:" line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    If you look in the template called "Dark city - pages", you can find a sample in the copy text of the Contact page:

email: <a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a>

Hope this helps,
    Works like a charm. Thanks.

And thanks to all for the praise.

Post Thanks / Like

Woody - very nice pictures. quick question. Looking at the TTG site you used TTG pages. But I can find which gallery you used? can you let me know which one it was?

thanks

Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    Woody - very nice pictures. quick question. Looking at the TTG site you used TTG pages. But I can find which gallery you used? can you let me know which one it was?

thanks

Alex
    TTG Highslide Gallery PRO 1.7, using the whiteout template, which I customized.

Post Thanks / Like

Woody

Did you ever look at zenfolio. With the premium service you can use your own domain name . There is an upload interface from Lightroom..I have not used it . I use my site for everything now and even have started to upload some of my work in progress.(its helps me visualize the end product). You can also upload larger file sizes which improves somewhat the IQ.

Post Thanks / Like

TTG Highslide Gallery PRO 1.7, using the whiteout template, which I customized.
    Got it. thanks. so you had to buy TTG Pages and TTG Highslide Pro?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    Got it. thanks. so you had to buy TTG Pages and TTG Highslide Pro?
    For a total of something like 40 bucks, which is tiny relative to what I've spent on my earlier efforts.

Post Thanks / Like

That is true. Right now I'm in the process of deciding whether to do it myself or use something like smugmug service. I think TTG Pages will work for me. I already have web hosting space that I'm paying for so I might as well do this myself. Just checked TTG and prices have gone up its now $65 for the combo.

thanks for your help btw.

Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Woody

Did you ever look at zenfolio. With the premium service you can use your own domain name . There is an upload interface from Lightroom..I have not used it . I use my site for everything now and even have started to upload some of my work in progress.(its helps me visualize the end product). You can also upload larger file sizes which improves somewhat the IQ.
    I have a zenfolio account that I use for weddings, parties and the like, where I upload more images than I would if I were editing critically. It works very well, but doesn't permit much customization of look.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Woody
    It looks great to me - lots of splendid shots as well.

I used to do mine 'properly', but these days I find that iWeb does a good (if simple) job. . . . of course, you need to use a mac.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Next question: I'd like to set up a blog and feed it to my website - presumably I set up a menu item "blog" or something like that and identify the url of the location on my host where the blog is directed. Has anyone done this. I know that I could start a blog on Blogger and just point to the url for that, but that takes the user off of my site without a way of getting back on.

nei1

very enjoyable woody,both technically and artistically.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice web site, Woody. And fantastic photos as well.

You might want to give a title to the pages: currently, all pages are named "Title page".
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bcf View Post
    Very nice web site, Woody. And fantastic photos as well.

You might want to give a title to the pages: currently, all pages are named "Title page".
    Thanks - I've figured out how to fix it and I'll make the changes as I tighten the edits in the galleries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I've now gone on to v. 2.0 of my website (it actually still has some beta aspects). The photo gallery format it too passive; there's no reason to revisit it so I've ditched it.

So my landing page is now a daily photo blog. Links to galleries are in the second column.

I installed wordpress on my web hosting site; found a theme that I liked; taught myself a little html - just enough to customize spacing, fonts and colors - by trial and error. I organized a file structure on my hosting site and upgraded to a dedicated IP address with an SSL certificate. All in all it took a couple of hours a day over a two week period. I'm delighted to have control over the look and content. Adding my daily posting is very easy, as is adding galleries - I'm still using TTG in Lightroom to generate the galleries. Links and other mechanics are mostly reliable at this point. I've decided to use fairly large images (this is about photographs) which means that it will load and run slowly if you don't have a fast connection.

I need to add some text on the ratings, why I'm doing a daily photo blog and who I am. I'm feeling my way along the issue of how do deal with images of people - for now I'm telling people that I'm taking pictures for my blog.

The point of the blog is that I post one picture every day. The "every day" relates to when the picture is taken, not when it is posted. This is a great personal development exercise for me because it forces me always to have a camera and to try to produce an image every day, good light or poor, healthy or sick. Some days I've had to post the best of a selection of dodgy images. Some days its been hard to choose among the keepers.

Sometimes I'll write a bit of narrative. I'm still finding my voice on this. I need to go back and do minor editing of old posts to sort out the "I" and "we" issue and to use a consistent tense.

Anyway . . . click on the link below and let me know what you think.

I had to use a redirect to make the blog my landing page. If you are behind a firewall you system may not permit redirects in which case you will enter through a gallery home page. This is a problem that I still have to solve.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody,
    Really like the blog. Simple words but great shots. Will be interesting to follow along. I've often thought about the photo a day discipline. My favorite photo class was "roll a day" at ICP. Amazing the differences you see in your own personal photography when you both shoot and then have to edit yourself down to one shot a day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Woody,
    Really like the blog. Simple words but great shots. Will be interesting to follow along. I've often thought about the photo a day discipline. My favorite photo class was "roll a day" at ICP. Amazing the differences you see in your own personal photography when you both shoot and then have to edit yourself down to one shot a day.
    I too took "roll a day" at ICP, taught by Harvey Stein, who's become a lifelong friend. I very much had that experience in mind when I embarked on this project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like it Woody. The pic a day discipline will keep it fresh.
    Mike

website under construction