The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

battery for the m9

geesbert

my m9 came with a battery that looks different than the ones I have from my m8, they are physically the same size, but they lack the leica 'eurostyle' font and are labeled with a sticker and not embossed as the m8 one are.

Is this a genuine battery? They had the Camera on display for a bit, so they might have used a third party battery in it.

Last edited:

jlancasterd

my m9 came with a battery that looks different than the ones I have from my m8, they are physically the same size, but they lack the leica 'eurostyle' font and are labeled with a sticker and not embossed as the m8 one are.

Is this a genuine battery? They had the Camera on display for a bit, so they might have used a third party battery in it.
My battery looks exactly the same - and it came with the camera in a sealed package.

Steve Fines

Agree - that's the real deal.

As an aside I used a couple Pearstone (B&H, non-OEM) batteries that week in the M9 and they worked fine. Seemed to last about the same as the Leica batteries.

stevem8

My one pearstone died after 3 uses. Wont even charge now. Not sure why, but I will be sticking with the Leica batteries from now on.

geesbert

thanks for your replies. probably another bit of costcutting by leica.

i bought three aftermarket batteries off ebay for my m8, two of which caved in within three months.

henningw

I've had 3 original batteries now, and about 8 3rd party ones. Here in Canada the store wanted $150 for the Leica batteries plus tax, and the 3rd party ones have generally cost me about $11 ea. total delivered. Two Leica batteries have died and 2 3rd party batteries have died. Each type has lasted as well as the other.

No way am I buying Leica branded batteries. Cameras, yes. Lenses, yes. Batteries and chargers, NO!

geesbert

the two original batteries I have are doing just fine, albeit me mistreating them quite a bit. I always partly recharge them, never recondition them but they seem to work just like day one, I get up to 350 images per charge with the m8