The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

21 lux anyone?

Can anyone share their experience with the 21 lux on the M8 and on film? Haven't seen anything new in awhile. Thanks....Peter

FrozenInTime

Just got mine last week - I think I like it.
My first rolls of Fuji 400H with a M6 look promising.
It's such a joy being able to overexpose negative film indoors and bring the colors clear out of the mud
( I'm convinced neg. film needs 2 stops more than digital when used indoors )
The background bokeh looks nice and smooth with oof lights are rendered like christmas tree globes.

I'm sorry I can't post any yet - I've already spend an hour looking for the negative tray for my scanner ( I will try again tomorrow ).

My biggest problem has been framing : parallax is a big issue when shooting close up.
I had lost a lot of shots despite my estimated compensation.
I might have got better with more practice, but I gave in yesterday an bought a ex-demo Frankenfinder 12011.
It arrived today - it's big and ugly, but it shows just how much the frames move going from infinity to 0.7m.
The finder barrel distortion is obvious, much more than a Zeiss OVF, but the bubble makes up for that.

Donald.

jlancasterd

I've also just received mine - it arrived by white van at 8.45am yesterday - ordered on the web from Red Dot in London at around 2.00pm the previous day. That's what I call service! (North Wales isn't exactly noted for fast delivery services)

It's fine today, so I may just get out to use it on my M9. I'll be using a Voigtlander viewfinder.

FrozenInTime

Still not found the scanner's film holder, so here's a DSLR with macro lens snap of the full frame from the negative (Fuji pro400H).

Full aperture and focused up close on the barriers.

Donald.

jlancasterd

Congratulations John! Please share your experiences with it and a few images. best....Peter
Actually, I see I misread the Title of this thread - mine is the 21 2.8 Asph... :eek: Sorry :(

There seem to be several of these lenses on the secondhand market in the UK at the moment - mine is a fairly late model with 6-bit coding (No.39251xx) which cost me £1,500 ($2,500) - a saving of at least £900 on the current UK price new.

I did some test shooting with it this afternoon and am seeing some of the magenta vignetting along the left hand edge of the image already reported with other 21mm lenses on the M9.

Last edited:

Peter Klein

"What hump?"

Seriously, a couple of my friends at the Seattle LHSA meeting a couple of weeks ago had or tried the 21/1.4 ASPH, and all spoke of it in stellar terms. But that finder does alter the nature of the Leica in a major way.

--Peter (that's Frank-en-STEEN)

jeffwros

I'm still deciding if this one is for me. I'm using the Voigtlander VF but have not pushed this lens like I need to. Lots of cash tied up in something I feel I've only taken "OK" photos with.

This was taken with the 21 Lux, M6, Tri-x. A "safe" shot at around f/5.6 if I remember correctly.

Another safe one shot at f/8 or f/11 ...I can't remember. Fuji 400H.

This snap of my dog was maybe f/1.4 or f/2. Again, I just don't have the mental EXIF data to keep up with it all. Fuji 400H.

Overall, sure, I love using it but I'm finding myself not using this in the low-light situations I thought I would be. Any of these could have been done nicely with the Elmarit IMHO.

I'm looking forward to seeing others' examples, myself.

:thumbup:

Jeff- The dog pic has the look I've been seeing with this lens at 1.4, I don't think you would have gotten it with any other 21mm lens. If you decide it's not for you, kindly let me know if you want to sell it. ;>) best....Peter

jeffwros

Peter ...I'll definitely keep you in mind should I decide to put it on the block.

Here's a few more for fun.

Kodak Tri-x 400 at around f/2

Kodak Tri-x 400 at around f/5.6

Kodak Tri-x 400 at around f/2

Kodak Ektar 100 at around f/8

The f-stops are approximate as this was shot on 10/03/09 and I did not make any notes during the day's shoot.