The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 Grey Finish issues?

carstenw

It is so cheap that I am suspicious. I was also quoted way above €100 for a base plate (I ended up buying a second-hand one in near-perfect condition for €140), and the top plate is in another league for complexity. I wonder if there was some price-cutting or something going on? I should ask my dealer to find a cost on a top plate for me. I mean, the thing is milled from solid brass, nickel-plated and then chromed. How could they do that for €260?

jonoslack

It is so cheap that I am suspicious. I was also quoted way above €100 for a base plate (I ended up buying a second-hand one in near-perfect condition for €140), and the top plate is in another league for complexity. I wonder if there was some price-cutting or something going on? I should ask my dealer to find a cost on a top plate for me. I mean, the thing is milled from solid brass, nickel-plated and then chromed. How could they do that for €260?
Well, easily I'd guess . . . if they were making thousands.

Knorp

Carsten, don't no about price-cutting or something else going on, perhaps they felt sorry for me :rolleyes: and of course I'm very humble and polite, too :angel:
Anyway, adding 19% tax makes €305,32 for the top/cover plate.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Folks, an important lesson in life is not confusing selling price with cost ...

With respect to the M9, I suspect we'll look back at the paint vs chrome issue as Leica penny pinching - particularly when considered against what looks like being a sales bonanza for Leica at the moment (well, it would be if they could ship them ...).

(Btw, I'll draw an automotive analogy with another German company: In 2000 I bought a new Porsche 911 convertible - it came with interior switch gear that would have put a cheap & nasty compact car to shame. Mechanically and dynamically the car was wonderful and a big step up from the 993 IMHO but the interior was a SIGNIFICANT step backwards. It took Porsche a couple of years to get the message that penny pinching loses sales - they eventually sorted this out but I had a couple of similar enthusiasts who wouldn't buy an early 996 because of this alone).

Last edited: