The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Picked up a used Zeiss 21mm f/2.8

etrigan63

It arrives Saturday. :D

Will I have to do anything special to make it work on my M8 (besides coding)? I already have an external viewfinder for framing.

etrigan63

I was wondering because Popflash.com sells them "prepped for the M8" and I was wondering what that entailed beyond having pits milled for coding (which John Milich can do for much less).

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Carlos You should check the threads on this lens at LUF. I am pretty sure that you will need to change the flange so that it pulls up the proper frame lines. This is not for framing ,as the 21 is typically used with an external 28mm finder, but is necessary in conjunction with the coding as a 21mm lens. There have been a number of threads on how to do this and your alternatives. Popflash has been able to get Zeiss to convert some of their lenses to the correct flange ..this is what they are referring to as converted for the M8. Roger

robsteve

Subscriber
If you look at your other lenses you will see that one of the lugs of the bayonet is a different width depending on the framlines it brings up. The 6-bit coding factors both the code and the position of the framelines when the camera determines which lens is mounted.

The lens needs the flange to bring up the 90mm framelines. Since this is the position that requires the widest lug to engage the frame lines, it is not possible to modify the existing mount short of brazing on more metal to make it wider and filing it to the right shape.
Most people have just been getting the correct mount to begin with and having JLM code it before intalling it.

S

Sean_Reid

I was wondering because Popflash.com sells them "prepped for the M8" and I was wondering what that entailed beyond having pits milled for coding (which John Milich can do for much less).
It doesn't mean coding milling but does mean that the bayonet is swapped (by Zeiss) so that the lens triggers the correct frame lines for hand-coding. The bayonet swap, itself, is official and thus does not void one's warranty.

Cheers,

Sean

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You may have to search thru the threads at the LUF. It was out there including the contact at Zeiss ,the telephone number and the part numbers. There is even a discussion on how to change the flange yourself . But for the 21 you probably should get the flange from Zeiss. Since you bought the lens used I assume you have no warranty anyway. The old process used to be buy the flange and screw from Zeiss parts and send your flange and lens to John Milach (sorry if I spelled this wrong) .. He would mill the slots for 6 bit and put the new flange on for you. I know he now makes brass flanges with the milled slots ..so thats another alternative. Guy has a thread on the 18mm that shows this.

S

Sean_Reid

Yes, but where does one get an "official" flange?
Hi Carlos,

The bayonet is available from Zeiss and they can make the flange swap for a fee. Of course, if the bayonet is going to be milled, it will have to be removed again and sent to a machinist, etc. In other words, once the bayonet is milled, warranty officially ends.

If warranty is not an issue then the simplest process would be to buy the correct bayonet from Zeiss, send it to John for milling and then either do the swap yourself or have a lens tech do it. The 21/2.8 is straightforward (I note the process in my review of the ZM 18) but the 21/4.0 is more complicated.

Cheers,

Sean

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes as Sean noted in his site the Zeiss 18mm and a thread i did here on GetDPI we show you what we have done to the Zeiss 18mm to make it work correctly on the M8. But the 21mm is a little different so i would follow Sean's advice on that for sure.

etrigan63

Anyone have contact info for Zeiss? I have a friend of mine who is a certified Zeiss lens tech (he owns Cinematechnic - and converts mounts on Zeiss cinema lenses) I will give him a shout.

Last edited:

etrigan63

Thanks for the info. I have forwarded it to myu buddy the Zeiss lens tech. Will let you know what happens.

robsteve

Subscriber

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes I did . Mine is a completely new mount for the 18mm works a charm too. But i think Tony at Popflash is selling them already done

etrigan63

The lens arrived today. Here is a quick test shot of my two favorite subjects. No modifications to the lens other than an IR/UV filter.