The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

lightroom 3.0 beta

Diane B

To me the metadata search is one of the things I value a lot--with or without keywords because you can filter by camera, lens (except Pannies LOL)dates, etc., etc.--Robert's way works great. I think Jono, you won't have to go too deep--just work with it and it will become pretty intuitive. Its not like PS where you never ever never get to know it all. Its actually not hard to know all of it with LR--whether you USE it all is another thing (I don't use 2 of the modules--the web and slideshow), but one of the things I like is that it is possible for them to add more modules--and other 'stuff'--and that I can do so much just in the Develop module.

Robert Campbell

I'm with Diane; it does take some time to get to know it, but it's [almost] all straightforward and logical -- and I've never used the Web or Slideshow either. I've never really got to grips with PS -- all that 'if you want to do such-and-such, then don't use the such-and-such filter' nor did I understand painting with white or black when you clearly weren't -- in the 'foreground' or 'background'.

I find the edit in external editor set-up a bit back to front -- I'd rather name the editor first, not when I've set it up.

Filtering: occasionally, you may not find what you were loooking for -- because you have already set the filters for something else -- use the \ to see the full panel to check what you've done -- if necessary click on 'none' to clear things, and start again.

LR does show Apple influences with all the keyboard 'shortcuts' -- I mostly right-click on Windoze, rather than trying to remember them all.

Robert Campbell

I started to use it and it's nice, can't wait for the alpha version...
The alpha version comes before the beta; the alpha is a very rough 'first go' at software, the 'beta' is more stable but not complete or debugged -- which is why we get to do some [free] testing for the makers.

You're waiting for the 'release candidate' which is more or less finished, or the 'release' which you pay for.

Diane B

And-normally, even the beta for most software wasn't public--allowing anyone to use it, have input into the finished version. In fact--a lot of the changes in 2.0+ came from public input.

Understanding that it is beta, buggy, not complete is important (and I expect everyone here does understand that). Its not for use for critical work. Its to Adobe's advantage also---they have things really well ironed out by the time the final version comes out because its probably been used on most all possible machines and with beginners and more advanced alike---and they likely have some new users who have been using it for 6 months and are now willing to buy the software they feel a bit invested in.

jonoslack

A

Understanding that it is beta, buggy, not complete is important (and I expect everyone here does understand that). Its not for use for critical work.
Hi Diane
You're right here of course, but from my point of view LR2 simply doesn't produce results that I like for either the A900 or the M9, whereas LR3 actually looks rather good. Which means that it's worth taking a chance for me for a while.

It's ironic that the day before the beta had come out I'd spent lots of time with LR2.5, and decided that it simply wasn't okay, and that I'd use Aperture, and shoot raw+jpg on the GF1 until someone else supported it. Now I'm going through the same procedure again, and the two main reasons I rejected LR 2.5 (conversion and printing of A900/M9 files) have both been greatly improved.