The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decision: 35mm Lux ASPH vs CV 35/1.2 Nokton ASPH?

francishmt

Anyone have experience or knowledge about these two lenses? I think the CV is a great lens according to Reid's review. The Leica seems to have a nice drawing, but I am concerned about the focus shift issue.

What are your experience? Anything comment would be appreciated, including goods and bads. I will use it on M9.

Opinion around wide open performance will be great information too!

Thank you!

jeffwros

I had a 35 Lux ASPH, sold it, purchased a CV Nokton 1.2, sold it and am again using the Lux 35 ASPH. I got rid of the CV as I felt it was just a bit bigger than I wanted to use on the M ...to the point that I rarely used it. I will admit, however, that I never felt let down by the images I was able to create using it.

I have learned to compensate for the focus shift of the Lux on digital while it's not a concern for me on film.

Gotta go with your gut on this one, I suppose. I think they both are capable of delivering wonderful images. Good luck!

carstenw

I don't have experience with the Nokton, but own a copy of the 35 Lux ASPH which barely focus shifts, and doesn't get soft at f//2.8, f/4... As such, I have been very happy with it, and it is my most used lens on the M8. If you decide to go this route, I would recommend looking around a bit until you find a good copy. For unknown reasons, chrome, titanium and older copies seem to have less shift than current lenses.

Hi Francis- The technically correct way is to set up the camera on a sturdy tripod, focus accurately at 1.4, shooting say a ruler, and then change aperture leaving the focus alone. I tested mine as you suggest, using real use technique, that is refocusing at each aperture as I would taking real photos, hand held. I found detectable but insignificant shifting, and in real use have never found a photo to be compromised by OOF stemming from shift. It's a great lens. (Mine is a black version, bought just before the M8 release, before coding. I had Leica code it). best....Peter

fotografz

Same experience as Peter regarding focus shift. I sent my black 35/1.4 ASPH to Leica for calibration and whatever they did made it a non-issue ... on the M8 and now the M9. Great lens.

I had a silver CV for about a year, while still owning the Leica f/1.4 ASPH ... Interestingly, they both metered exactly the same on the same camera, in the same light ... in other words I didn't gain a slight shutter speed advantage with the f/1.2 lens.

-Marc

Seascape

I recently changed from the 35 Cron ASPH to the Lux ASPH, and I have to say I am very happy.

The look of the the 35 Lux ASPh is very pleasing, it just seems to be a great balance between a modern high resolution design, and the classic Leica smoothness.

I have no experience with the CV.

Nick_Yoon

I recently bought a 35 Summilux ASPH which shows some drift between 2.8-5.6, but focus is right at 1.4 so maybe I should just use it at 1.4 and 8!

No Francis. If the lens has significant focus shift, it will result in OOF images at the offending apertures at a distance such that the depth of field does not "cover" the lack of sharpness. For example, if the lens shifts greatly after 1.4, say having maximal shift at 2.8, than you will have problems shooting at 2.8. Samples like mine, (and I suspect the majority of 35 luxes), may have slight shift, but not enough to render the images OOF, but some samples do. best...Peter

carstenw

The rangefinder focuses independently of aperture, so there is no way to re-focus. You will just end up repeating the same job, and in the best case, getting the same exact result.

francishmt

I see. Thanks for the clarifications.

Anyone else have experience with the CV then? Without first hand experience, I am fairly concerned about the focus shift issue, therefore leaning more toward the CV now. Or, am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

M

Mango

If you have a M9, the CV is chump change. Get both and decide which one works for you.

Disclosure: I have the 35mm Summilux Asph. Love it!!!!

Last edited:

cam

i am another happy owner of the 35 Lux... i played with the CV and whilst it was nice, it was even bigger than the Lux and had much worse of a focus shift... go figure! i haven't heard much about this problem but it was there... whatever you get, test the lens first.

Bébèrt

I love my Nokton. A good performer at 27% of the Leica price. But it is big, as large as a Noctilux

First ->One snapshot with the M8

Second -> Testfile M9 & LR3 beta (focus on Leica book, handheld) + 100% crop.

A

artears

Here is one example from nokton: http://picasaweb.google.com/arsun.a...key=Gv1sRgCOCHmJDOqfmdvQE#5393600045786342610

another one: http://picasaweb.google.com/arsun.a...key=Gv1sRgCOCHmJDOqfmdvQE#5393600158607453618

first one @ f/1.4, second one @ f/1.2 first one processed in lightroom, just converted to jpeg, no further adjustments, second one converted in photoshop, again no adjustments, just converted from raw. Links provided, in case you want to get the originals, otherwise you can check the attached pictures as well.

It is a great lens IMHO, very sharp even wide open, it is also extremely resistant to flare.

A

artears

BTW, nokton does not suffer from any focus shift, I tested it in the above setup using different apertures. The test was done on a tripod with M8. The focus in on the EFE bottle.

otumay

Artears, I'm sure you know that the bottle in the middle is one of the finest brands of raki, the best-loved spirit in my country! Nice to spot a good old bottle, thank you!
Cheers,
Osman

A

artears

Osman, I am originally from Istanbul and it was nice to find raki here in Chicago, just two blocks away from where I live :) We should get together sometime when I am back for vacation...
All the best,
Arsun