The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decision: 35mm Lux ASPH vs CV 35/1.2 Nokton ASPH?

mikel

Francis, sorry for the side-note above on focus shift, but it may not be an important factor depending on how you like looking at photos and your criteria for what will ruin one.

I've used both, and I don't think you'll be disappointed with either from an image standpoint. I liked the short throw on the Nokton and the flare resistance. It's noticeable bigger, especially with the hood, but my copy rarely flared so I didn't use the hood. The only irritating thing was some gritty-ness to the focus ring right out of the box, but that could be dealt with. If lens size isn't a problem, the Nokton is a dynamite deal.

The 35mm summilux asph is way more lens than I could ever effectively exploit, and if you own one long enough (I'll never sell mine), its price, over the long term, isn't that big of a deal.

Stuart Richardson

I object to the clinical description. I think it is one of those labels that are just applied to aspherical lenses that just does not have much meaning. The purpose of the aspherical lenses is to correct as many aberrations as possible and render a scene as close as possible to how we see it in reality. I think this is a pretty noble goal. I certainly do not object to people who desire a softer look, but sharp does not have to mean harsh.
Here are some photos with the 35/1.4 ASPH, which I don't think has a harsh signature -- I think it is one of the best all around lenses that Leica offers:

sharp, most definitely, but harsh? 100%, f/2.8:

fotografz

I object to the clinical description. I think it is one of those labels that are just applied to aspherical lenses that just does not have much meaning. The purpose of the aspherical lenses is to correct as many aberrations as possible and render a scene as close as possible to how we see it in reality. I think this is a pretty noble goal. I certainly do not object to people who desire a softer look, but sharp does not have to mean harsh.
Here are some photos with the 35/1.4 ASPH, which I don't think has a harsh signature -- I think it is one of the best all around lenses that Leica offers.
Totally agree 100%.

Micro contrast is still at play here, and the Leica look is intact as far as I can see. Clinical nor harsh are words that comes to mind when viewing the results from these lenses.

The 35/1.4 ASPH and 28/2 ASPH are among my favorite lenses on any M camera, film or digital.

I do like the character of some classic lenses like the 75/1.4 and 90/2.8 for certain applications ... so it's nice to have choices.

-Marc

francishmt

Lots of Lux love here based on the number of pictures posted here, but not many CV 1.2 love. Anyone care to share more samples?

Stuart, out of curiosity, are those taken with the M8 or M9? They look great.

Stuart Richardson

Marc -- I agree as well. There is certainly a place for lenses like the 75/1.4 (which is usually what I shoot with along with the 35/1.4) and the 90/2.8, but if you are just looking for general photography without a lens imposed look, then the aspherical lenses are great. I think since the 35/1.4 ASPH is one of the earliest, it is sort of a bridge lens -- it has characteristics of the older lenses as well as the very latest like the 75/2 and 50/1.4 ASPH.

Francis -- Thanks, glad you liked them! The first three were taken on film, and the last one which was taken on the M8.

In response to francishmt's request, here are some shots with the Nokton 1.2 on M8, doing what I use it for: low-light street photography. In the first 2, it's wide open; in the last one, stopped down to f3.5 or 4. It's moderately sharp at 1.2.

As I said above, I don't expect the Nokton to produce the smooth bokeh of a Summilux.

On the Lux 1.4 ASPH issue, IMO Stuart's shots – very nice ones – do exhibit some of the traits that make some of us prefer pre-asph lenses. IMO the first shot & the final portrait are examples of what Sean Reid refers to as a lens one might not choose for a sunny day, because of its strong contrast. But that's just one old-fashioned opinion.

Kirk

(You can get a larger version with better color by clicking the thumbnails.)

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Nice shots Kirk! I love the colors. I agree that the contrast is inherently pretty high on the 35/1.4 ASPH, but it is also a function of processing. I like contrast, so my photos are contrasty -- if I wanted to make them less contrasty though, that would not be a problem -- that is more of a function of film and processing choice. The minor contrast differences between lenses are only really an issue on projected slides or in light that is already extremely contrasty. In 99% of situations, the difference in contrast can be easily overcome through technique.

B

boymerang

I wouldn't call the 35 'lux ASPH harsh either. Trust me, if you're looking for a 35mm lens then save up and get the best. Speaking from personal experience here...