Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New owner of Leica

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New owner of Leica

Personally I think the S2 project originally was the R10 "larger than full frame DSLR" project - Leicas own expression, even in the S2 press release 23. Sept. 2008.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There

If that actually was the case, then I would agree. But I think that events (the world depression) intervened. As I understood it the S2 was supposed to be the proving ground for technologies which would flow down to the R10. When they decided to stop developing the R10, the S2 was already developed enough to make it worth while continuing. (of course, I could be wrong

So they didn't drop the R in favour of the S2, they simply dropped the R because circumstances had changed (and the S2 was basically finished).
    OK, but the net result is still that the R has been dropped. And, the reason has to be either their studies did not see the market as viable and/or they decided not to commit the money necessary for R development. That, too, would have been highly influenced by their market studies. If not, then Leica is just plain out of resources.

Though the 35 format market is vast compared to near MF market, they'd be butting heads with Canon/Nikon which is daunting in light of how previous R models fared. Tough market for Leica to be in at this time. I don't envy their position. They've carved out their market position with a scalpel - let's hope the operation is a success.
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My personal theory is that if the S, X, and M systems are successful, there might be an R revival. They just don't want to commit to it.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    My personal theory is that if the S, X, and M systems are successful, there might be an R revival. They just don't want to commit to it.
    HI Carsten
    That sound pretty likely to me as well.

Just this guy you know

coolfotog

Quoting Amy Kosh of Leica at the Toronto launch of the S2, "It would make good business sense for Leica to revive the R series. It would be very hard to ignore."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Carsten
    That sound pretty likely to me as well.
    Sure hope you guys are correct, but Leica's statement was firm with little 'wiggle room'.
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that what we had in the last few years was the wiggleroom that they allowed themselves. At some point they have to say something firm. You cannot say that there might be something in the future for years on end when you really don't know.

However, there is a long and rich R history at Leica, and I would be surprised if this year was the end of it. I think it will return if the company does well, perhaps in 2-3 years when the S2 lessons have been learned and the economy is on its feet again.
    Carsten - Website