The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 vs M8.2

durrIII

Would y'all help with which M8 to buy? I know the differences, but are they worth the price difference? Assuming I can afford either one, of course. Thanks for advise from actual experience.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Others may and probably will offer other opinions, but, here goes. I owned one of the first M8s for about a year and never really had any issues with the camera (had to send it to Solms, however, like the rest of the first M8 batch to eliminate the green blobs). I later sold the camera and stepped away from shooting the M8 for about a year.

I picked up an M8.2 in April and used it extensively until trading it in for my M9 several weeks ago.

To me, the M8.2 just felt more solid/rugged than the M8 I owned. The sapphire LCD, the improved shutter and what seemed like a more accurate rangefinder combined to make my M8.2 experience (and I did have a good M8 experience) more pleasant.

Kurt

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I've never had the M8.2. The upgrades are very worthy. I think your choice should depend on whether you see this is a stop-gap on the way to M9 or will you be buying this body for a long term. If you see yourself upgrading to M9, then I would buy a user M8 that can be easily sold at a minimum loss. If you are in for the long haul with the M8, and money is no problem, then go for the M8.2.

stevem8

Cindy is right. if you plan on going for an M9 at a later date, go with a used M8. If you will not be buying an M9 then go for the M8.2. To me, it was well worth the extra over the M8 for its shutter, sapphire glass LCD, and the BP version is soooooooo sexy.

I have an M9 now and there have been a couple of times I missed my BP M8.2. Why? Not sure really but it was a little quieter than my M9, and its focus/RF was so spot on. It was scary good.

I actually shot with an M8 after I sold my M8.2 for the M9 and if i had to choose it would be an M8.2. If you get one, just make sure you get the IR filters for your lenses.

trisberg

I recently picked up an M8 for a decent price. I did consider the M8.2 but since the changes don't affect the way the pictures come out I didn't think the extra premium for the M8.2 was worth it.

The only thing I'm really missing missing are the new framelines. The shutter is not that loud, especially with the discreet option in recent firmware which allows you to delay the winding noise.

-Thomas

cam

i own a classic M8 and have in my possession an M8.2 to sell for somebody and, after playing with it for a few minutes, i swatted my own hands and put it back in the box.

why?

if i didn't know for sure that i was going to eventually sell the M8 to buy an M9, i'd swap out the cameras in a heartbeat.

regarding the shutter, the sound isn't the whole story -- it's the feel. the M8.2 is so much smoother. now, i have said elsewhere that i think i have the loudest M8 ever made (which drives me mad, even with discreet), but it is also quite rickety. when i tested out the M8.2, i honestly didn't even know if i had taken a picture -- it was that silky! just a joy...

and quick access to EV comp without having to go through the menu? practically priceless when shooting in low light.

the framelines aren't an issue to me as i like to shoot close and prefer to always know what will be in the frame. most others, really loved the 2m frames of the M8.2. and the sapphire screen is gorgeous, but it doesn't make or break it for me personally.

the first two points are the ones that would make me buy the M8.2 really... after playing with one, it was really hard to go back to my clunker. i already knew that, intellectually going in, but using it in person really brought it home.

sigh.

if you can afford it and are really planning to use it, get an M8.2. it's what the M8 should have been in the first place.

if FF is important to you and you're saving up for the M9, get an M8 classic and enjoy. the images are just as amazing.

cdnguyen

I haven't seen anybody mentioned here that IQ from M8 and M8.2 are virtually identical . The differences are more cosmetics than anything else. I have 2 M8's and have been very happy with both. The high shutter speed comes in handy when shooting with the luxes.

woodyspedden

I think you have not been in touch with the shutter issues with the M8. There have been numerous failures (mine was one of them). The original shutter looked like it exploded. Of course this happens one day after the warranty runs out (joke! LOL).

Mine was actually still within warranty but my thoughts were to go ahead and turn the pig into a princess. The sapphire takes care of a serious problem with LCD cover scratching, the vulcanite is a much safer and more beautiful covering, the framelines make sense for the first time, and the new shutter is a dream. Now the M8.2 begins to work just like the old M7 and feels wonderful in hand. Guess what..........you are excited to go out and capture some great images.

So I am a believer in the upgrades. I bought an M9 but I am not going to sell my upgraded M8. It is my backup and my friend. I could get over $2K for it but man that is what I paid for the upgrades. The M9 is a marvelous camera but the M8 U is not chopped liver my friends. And I still have six months to go on the new warranty!

Just my humble opinion

Woody

Paratom

Would y'all help with which M8 to buy? I know the differences, but are they worth the price difference? Assuming I can afford either one, of course. Thanks for advise from actual experience.
I have used both - if it is worth the money only you can decide. I personally really liked the quiet shutter of the M8.2
The safir glass is also a nice to have.
The images dont get any better with the .2 but it feels better.

John Black

I own a M8 and tried a M8.2 at a local shop. I excused myself very quickly before the credit card somehow made its way out of the wallet. To my ears the shutter sound was significantly improved, as well as the smoothness. That said, would I pay $3500 today for a used M8.2 vs ~$2200 for a M8? Eh..., probably not. That's a lot of money to pay when the image quality is the same. I'd rather use the saved money towards another lens or a better lens.

carstenw

I think you have not been in touch with the shutter issues with the M8. There have been numerous failures (mine was one of them). The original shutter looked like it exploded. Of course this happens one day after the warranty runs out (joke! LOL).
My shutter actually died close to the end of the warranty, but since I was on the waiting list for the M8 update, Leica simply bumped me to the front rather than exchanging the shutter twice. However, when the camera returned, in addition to the normal bill, around €1300, for the full update (shutter, screen, framelines), I also got a Kostenvoranschlag (suggested cost) for €2000! I still don't know what that was for, but it sure made my heart look for a new spot to live, temporarily.

FWIW, my M8.2 is pretty much as quiet as my M6, and *much* quieter and less vibratory (?) than the M8 was before the update. For me, the update was very much worth it. Sadly, it is also quieter than the M9 I tried at my dealer, which makes me hesitate in my decision to go to an M9...