The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1 samples

kevinparis

Amin

where do you get the idea that the X1 is the same size as a DP2 - its wider than e-p1

at 113mm×60mm×50mm the DP2 is the same height as the x1, 10mm narrower and 10mm deeper - though that does seem to include the lens.

As for the phrase considerably - I do tend to use it where the comparisons are tangible such as the X1 is considerably smaller than a M9.... or a X1 is considerably more expensive than e-p1

cheers

K

Amin

As for the phrase considerably - I do tend to use it where the comparisons are tangible such as...
The last thing I have to say on this topic is that my least productive time spent in photography forums is that spent in exchanges with those
who believe that their subjective impressions apply for everyone else.

kevinparis

Amin

I don't recall offering any subjective impressions.

I merely responded for the benefit of the readers of the thread to your assertion that the x1 was in some way significantly smaller than the micro 4/3rd camera - I would think most people would read the phrase 'considerably' as indicating a difference that was significant.

I merely tried to illustrate through visual references that the cameras were all of similar dimensions.

I am not as knowledgeable as some members of this forum when it comes to the all technical nuances of photography so therefore I can't always filter the genuine fact from the ill or otherwise informed opinion, but when someone makes a misleading statement about something I do have knowledge of I will correct it

K

W

wbrandsma

A camera 2k and then we are debating the dimensions? I can't follow it anymore. If this is photography I loose my interest.

Amin

... I just don't think I could cope with that lens - too slow, too fragile looking, too limited.
Personally, I've realized that I don't want to be limited to any one lens, which is the main reason I went with Micro Four Thirds over the Sigma DP2 despite my overall preference for the image quality from the Sigma.

W

wbrandsma

For me too, Kevin. I cherish your 10D with older legacy lenses and will play with that tomorrow.

V

Vivek

A camera 2k and then we are debating the dimensions? I can't follow it anymore. If this is photography I loose my interest.

Ha! Who said the X1 has anything to do with photography?

Just admire the craftsmanship, the simplicity, the porsche design, the dp revs images,.....:ROTFL:

Have you seen a more beautiful flash than the one in the X1?

Seriously beautiful. I am surprised that isn't talked about more.

Next Mars mission rovers should pay attention.

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

Maybe instead of the flash a summicron lens would be worth the 2k for me. But I don't have the money and if I do so I wouldn't buy the X1 either. LOL, craftmanship and dp revs images!!!

N

nei1

If the new ricoh allows me to clean the sensor myself then even if I never buy another lens than the 50mm equiv Ill be happy.The dp2 which has,like the X1 ,an extendable lens must suck in dust,no?Wouter I remember you liking the gx200,which looks a very fine camera,is dust on the sensor a problem?
I have to say that this new ricoh shows a lot of promise,have my fingures crossed for ricoh and of course for all of us that would enjoy such a camera.

W

wbrandsma

The GX200 is a very reliable camera, Neil. Ricoh sent me one in the summer of 2008 to replace my GX100. My GX100 did perform better than a Dyson, but I have had absolutely no problems with the GX200. Hope to update you when I receive a test sample of the new Ricoh.

W

wbrandsma

Thank you Neil. I really hope they do come with a 40 or 50mm equivalent, just for you.

Amin

FWIW, here's what DPR had to say about the size/weight issue (source):

Those specifications are useful because they include the relevant pancake lenses in the size and weight listings.

Another thing to keep in mind is that despite its smaller body size, the X1 sensor is larger than 4/3 by approximately the same increment as 1.3x crop is to APS-C (or full frame to 1.3x) and will likely enjoy a small advantage over 4/3 when it comes to dynamic range and detail versus noise.

Last edited:

woodyspedden

Oh Dear

This thread is starting to look and feel like something out of the LUF!

Please go back to keeping our treasure here a critical path but always with respect and caring for others feelings. It is what makes us different.

You can always represent an opinion or point of view without discrediting the other persons perspectives.

This is not my forum but I care dearly for it. Let's get back on track.......shall we?

Best

Woody

Amin

Kevin, certainly no hard feelings!

Getting back on the topic, my consideration of the X1 ended when I took delivery of the Lumix 20 and the Lumix 7-14. Those two lenses really make the Micro Four Thirds system for me, and I have a hard time imagining a single focal length, fixed lens camera that would get me to switch.

The DPR samples are disappointing, but I agree with others in this thread that the bokeh samples are limited (and that any lens can be made to look bad in such shots) and that more samples and RAW conversions are needed to really understand the image quality potential of the X1.

kevinparis

amin

alls cool

i just wish somebody could work out how to do a Rollei 35 or Olympus XA1 in digital form... that would be fun... full frame fixed lens and a rangefinder that would fit in any pocket

Cheers
K

Terry

i just wish somebody could work out how to do a Rollei 35 or Olympus XA1 in digital form... that would be fun... full frame fixed lens and a rangefinder that would fit in any pocket

Cheers
K
a sensor with 12,000,000 microlenses ???? :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

kevinparis

terry

why not... in our lifetime we have seen the number of transistors on a chip go from dozens to millions

apparently with the new EXMOR sensor the boffins have just realised that putting the wiring in front of the sensors was a bad idea.

maybe with smart correction in software you dont need microlenses... maybe 6 mega pixels is enough... maybe there is another mechanism to read the image.. laser scanning a ground glass screen.. who frigging knows

but a digital XA would be way cool.... almost as cool as a Digital CL

love and peace

K