The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1 samples

Terry

Kevin,
I'm with you. It was a bit of a joke after just having a conversation with someone over at DPReview that didn't like the fact that in m4/3 there are lens corrections baked in on the wide lenses and the lenses are therefore inferior to those from the "old days". In the m4/3 format a complicated sensor like the M8/M9 is probably CURRENTLY cost prohibitive. I'm sure in time these issues will be sorted out and the technology will exist.

kevinparis

cheers terry

sitting here with very late night drink trying to figure out how to patent my laser scanning a ground glass screen idea :)

all the best from Les Paris Deux
K

jonoslack

All the size arguments are interesting (glad you sorted yourselves out).

At the risk of starting it all again, it seems to me that there is a very crucial size with respect to the size of one's pocket.

For instance, the EP-1 with a pancake will go in most coat pockets without producing an unsightly bulge . . . with the kit lens it won't.

It's always struck me in this context that depth is the most significant measurement rather than width or height, and clearly the X1 does have some advantage here.

As for the samples - they looked like dpreview samples to me - adequate and uninspiring :sleep006::sleep006: It would seem unfair on Leica to construe anything further than that the camera does work!

Let's face it, at this stage there have been cameras which have been written off, and turned into classics . . . and vice versa.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jack and I will have a X1 in our hands on 12/9 along with a S2 . Hopefully we can provide some samples that are better.

cam

For instance, the EP-1 with a pancake will go in most coat pockets without producing an unsightly bulge . . . with the kit lens it won't.
i like unsightly bulges.

As for the samples - they looked like dpreview samples to me - adequate and uninspiring :sleep006::sleep006: It would seem unfair on Leica to construe anything further than that the camera does work!
DPR always does have terrible sample images, that's a given -- i expect them to be awful. the processing as well...

but it doesn't change the character of the sensor/lens combo. the lens speed has disappointed me from the announcement and the pictures shown only deepened that. yes, the high ISO looked good (i know the sensor and am accepting that proper processing will improve what was shown), so the speed is moot for some.

what i did not like was the draw of the lens and the unpleasant bokeh. if i am looking to get a camera with a larger sensor, i would like to use it to get shallower DOF and separation, rather than having to stop down so the bokeh doesn't drive me mad. in which case, i see very little reason to buy a larger sensor unless high ISO is my paramount need.

i touched this camera, i fondled it, and, yes, i fell in love with it's sexy looks. it had, on paper, almost everything i was looking for -- except the slow lens. in the hand, it felt perfect and, yes, would easily go into my pocket or purse...

but back again to that lens.... i've been spoiled. Leica has spoiled me (and not all my lenses are fast -- i still madly love the 21/3.4 SA). and, in this instance, Leica has let me down.

monza

Oh look, you went and injected reality and pragmatism into this thread. ;)

jonoslack

i like unsightly bulges.
Surely not Cam . . .you like sightly bulges :ROTFL:

but back again to that lens.... i've been spoiled. Leica has spoiled me (and not all my lenses are fast -- i still madly love the 21/3.4 SA). and, in this instance, Leica has let me down.
Well, superficially I agree with your comments - all I'm doing is putting a slight 'wait and see' on the issue of the bokeh, there aren't many examples, and sometimes things turn out differently.

On the other hand, if it's f2.8 and has crappy bokeh as well . . . . then it won't be for me either!

jonoslack

:eek::cry:
I'm really sorry - I realise that this is inexcusable in any discussions about Leica:shocked:
HI Terry
Well, it's true isn't it. I think I know why too:

Basically, trying to justify buying an X1 is like trying to justify buying a 911 - there are lots of other things which get the job done more sensibly and much more cheaply.

the $100,000 (or do I mean $2000) question is whether the X1 has enough perzang to make the extra expense worth it. Of course, for some the beauty of the pop up flash and the elegant body and menus will be enough - others may want a little more . . . some may actually want some sort of functional or IQ benefit . . . or even nice bokeh! :bugeyes:

All the best

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Nobody has commented about the quality of the X1's red dot.
I am terribly familiar to the pricing of red dots as I am sure that you all are.
So if one is shopping for a red dot, then it seems like this is the lowest price one can pay.
One question remaining is if the red dot is of the same quality as the red dot on the M9 or other cameras from the one manufacturer from which red dots are routinely sourced.
-bob

carstenw

Actually, my dealer hands out red dots for free, so it seems that it is the camera which actually costs something. I realize that this goes against all logic :LOL:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, my dealer hands out red dots for free, so it seems that it is the camera which actually costs something. I realize that this goes against all logic :LOL:
It could be that your dealer is trying to get you hooked on the red dots.
Once you are it is inevitable that the price will rise.:lecture:
Red dots affixed to cameras seems to be a feature strongly correlated with price.
-bob

markowich

The bokeh on that shot is bad,that terrible distracting sort that seems to vibrate,the flower is also soft.......but then what can you expect for just 1500 quid,what a bunch of moaners...:D
for 1500.- quid you cannot expect much from leica.
peter

dhsimmonds

Nobody has commented about the quality of the X1's red dot.
I am terribly familiar to the pricing of red dots as I am sure that you all are.
So if one is shopping for a red dot, then it seems like this is the lowest price one can pay.
One question remaining is if the red dot is of the same quality as the red dot on the M9 or other cameras from the one manufacturer from which red dots are routinely sourced.
-bob
I wear my red dot in the lapel of my jacket.....it was earned by attending a Leica workshop...whoops, sorry, a Leica Academy. It cost me nothing except for the cost of the course...ahmmmm!

Take a look at the images taken with the new Ricoh GXR on this link. All taken with the F2.5 33mm (50mm equiv.)/APS-C module. Link courtesy of Jurgen Udvang. http://www.dcfever.com/cameras/samples.php

Anyone still want an X1??

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I'm still going for it.
Last Sat morning, I saw 10 prints from the X1.
Sizes from 8 x 10 to 16 x 20.
Very nice indeed.
Next Sat there is a Leica Day and the M9 & X1 will be there.
I have a money shoot but will try to get there.

I'm really excited by this camera.
Shooter