The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1 samples

Brian Mosley

Actually, I think they look awful... when are Jack/Guy or Jono going to get their hands on one? :angry:

Come on Leica! :wtf:

Cheers

Brian

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jack and I get the S2 in early December to test. I will ask if they can bring a X1 along for the ride. My suspicion is this is a D300 sensor but I don't know for sure. If it is the D300 when I had it the top end fairly clean was at ISO 1600. Now I am a little picky on clean so please bear with me on that call. BTW is this a jpeg out of camera or a processed Raw in what program.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just found the answer and what i suspected ACR 5.5 was the processing engine. Certainly not the best noise raw processing software out their. The real answer will be the engine from LR3 when released which will update ACR as well or C1.

Unless otherwise noted images taken with no particular settings at full resolution. All images were recorded in DNG raw format and converted using Adobe Camera Raw 5.5. A reduced size image (within 1024 x 1024 bounds) is provided to be more easily viewed in your browser. As always the original untouched image is available by clicking on this reduced image.

sizifo

Awful? I don't get it. To qualify, of course it has all the faults of a typical dpreview samples series, but taking that into account, it looks awesome. It just looks like it has huge potential

Thanks for the heads up and link. I am dissapointed with what I saw as those samples aren't near the quality of the images I saw at PhotoPlus. They looked mushy (ala AA filtered CMOS), blown highlights, and I noticed some edge fringing kinda like CA on a couple shot (e. g., left side of yellow leaf).

These samples have tempered my enthusiasm for the X1 until other sample and reviews come out.

cam

ugly ugly bokeh... that flower pic really should have been deleted.

what it looks like to me is an excellent small sensor camera with decent high ISO. a pity because i've been kind of searching for one of those -- but not at this cost.

the lens also disappoints. sharp enough but at what cost? it's sharp and that's about it. no character, no draw, nothing to distinguish it as a Leica -- unless you are into their modern look (nothing against this, its just not my bag)... better than most i've seen from the micro 4/3's but actually less expressive than the GRDIII. and the Ricoh is an f/1.9...

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Jack and I get the S2 in early December to test. I will ask if they can bring a X1 along for the ride. My suspicion is this is a D300 sensor but I don't know for sure. If it is the D300 when I had it the top end fairly clean was at ISO 1600. Now I am a little picky on clean so please bear with me on that call. BTW is this a jpeg out of camera or a processed Raw in what program.
Guy
I asked this a PhotoPlus and confirmed its the same sensor (made by Sony) used in the D300 and the newer D90. I asked will the High ISO performance be better than the M9 and was told yes. I also saw prints shot at 3200-6400 that looked promising. Carolyn shoots with a D90 and 1600 looks like the M9 at 1000 but she can go to 3200 easier than I can go to 1600. I say advantage X1 +1EV to the M9 ...+2 to the M8 .....but then it gives it back because the lens is F2.8 and the M s I would be shooting with a 1.4.

The big question is how will it compare to the GF1 with the 40/1.7?

IQ should be amazing in the sweet spot with a derivative of the 24/2.8asph and the D90 sensor.

The other key issue is focus speed (normal and in low light). I don t use small sensor camera regularly. My tests with the preproduction model showed it was pretty good(ok what the ...does that mean). I used it like I would my m8/9 with a finder ,on spot focus and looked for the green light to confirm I had it. It didn t hunt in normal indoor room light at all.

D

ddk

It looks just like any low-mid digital camera crippled with limited tonal range and depth! :thumbdown:

kevinparis

I am puzzled to just what people were expecting from this camera. We all have a pretty good idea that its the sensor from a Nikon D300...and the pretty good high ISO we can see bares this out.

Though the lens says Elmarit 24/2.8 on the front do you really think it was going to be of the same quality as the other Elmarit 24/2.8 they sell at 3750 dollars?...

It does seem pretty overpriced for what it is... but thats Leica for you

K

Brian Mosley

Though the lens says Elmarit 24/2.8 on the front do you really think it was going to be of the same quality as the other Elmarit 24/2.8 they sell at 3750 dollars?...
Something comparable with the Lumix 20mm f1.7 would have been fine. :ROTFL:

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

kevinparis;152173 We all have a pretty good idea that its the sensor from a Nikon D300...[/QUOTE said:
Unsubstantiated rumor. BTW, the new D300s is even better!

(There are also Sony A500 and Pentax Kx boasting good high ISO performances for half the price of an X1)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Well, I for one will give it a run for the money.
It could very well be a great image maker and I want to find out.

Waiting....shooter