The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 without UV/IR filters?

francishmt

Someone asked me, whether the IR issue can be corrected purely from C1. He is new and wanted to buy an M8, but wanted to know how well can the IR issue be corrected in post-processing.

Yes yes yes.... I have already said to him he should really buy those filters....

In any case, kindly let me know your thoughts.....

cam

if he's shooting b/w, the answer is yes. colour is a bit trickier... Jamie Roberts (over at LUF) has made an excellent series of profiles for the camera -- made before the UV/IR filter came into being.

i used them before i got my filters and was very happy, but i process almost everything into b/w. to be honest, i was even happier once i got the filters -- and i still use Jamie's profiles...

i was one of those that was told i would want the filters but was appalled at the price and balked. i eventually came around, though, as i'm sure he will. but in the meanwhile, those profiles will do.

carstenw

I think they were for Aperture. Keep in mind that once the shot is made, the profile cannot tell the difference between naturally ruddy skin and skin with too much IR, not between certain colours of purple clothing, and black clothing with IR. You are simply trading one colour for another... Get those filters.

cam

The link seems to be dead. Or is it just me? Thanks in advance.
that was one that somebody recently pointed to... perhaps if you posted a request for them in the image processing forum here, somebody might have the facility to send you them.

either that, or go over to LUF and search -- or send a PM to Jamie directly.

Peter Klein

Here is a comparison of the same scene (me in a mirror), at 100%. On the left with no filter, and on the right with an IR cut filter. Tungsten light, so it's at the extreme end in terms of differences.

You'll notice that there less contrast, and some slight blurring of fine details because of the out-of-focus IR component. This is something Leica has acknowledged.

My take on all this is that even with B&W, photos are a bit sharper and contrastier with the IR filters. That said, there may be situations where you like the effect. And the IR component may allow you to boost your shutter speed one click in dim light tungsten light.