The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 sensor cleaning?

woodyspedden

Where would you send your M8 for a sensor cleaning and how much should it cost? thanks
Oh Dear

If after all these years cleaning digital sensors you are still not comfortable with cleaning your own I fear you are in for some difficult times.

Sensors may need to be cleaned after each venture in the field.......especially if you are changing lenses frequently! So sending a camera to a repair facility to deal with this rather straightforward process will set you back a way with your camera enjoyment.

Go to visible dust website where there are a number of tutorials to help you learn the right ways to get the job done. It is not only a matter of cost but time and loss of shooting opportunities that are the main items here.

If there is any way I can specifically help, please PM me and we will try to work through this together

My best

Woody

Krug

I agree that it is something that you have to do yourself - though I for one don't enjoy it.
Do it on my Canon DSLRs.
Having browsed here and with Sean Reid for a while - have just bought a used M8 to see how I like RF .
( Both great and helpful fora thanks for letting me learn so much from all of you )
Is there anything special that I should know specifically about cleaning an M8 sensor ?? Is it different in any way from a 1Ds3 ??
Help and advice would be much appreciated.

John.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I agree with Woody that the visible dust website info is good. I clean my M8 and Fuji S5. I don't like to do it either, but it is not feasible to send them in all the time.
I recently got the little gummy tool that is shown on the LL M9 visit to Solms video. It seems to work great for touch-ups. Just don't press too hard.

woodyspedden

Just to clarify.......I don't like the risks associated with cleaning digital sensor (cover glass) either but I believe it comes with the turf.

If you shoot in dusty areas, as I often do in the desert southwest, i get dust on the sensor constantly if I am changing lenses. It would simply be impractical to send it back to factory repair each time this happened.

Just to understand, the sensor itself is not being cleaned, rather just the cover glass over the sensor. Big difference as the cover glass is pretty robust. If I had to clean the sensor itself I would have some bigger issues to be sure.

Woody

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy, where did you buy it from? Any recommendation for the retailer/seller and/or the brand of the tool??:confused:
Mine is labeled "eyelead" (Sensor Cleaning kit designed in Germany/made in China). I bought it on Amazon. Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/CLEANING-Dust...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257738007&sr=8-1

I used my Giotto blower first to remove any loose particles and then used the gummy stick (you clean it each time on a piece of tissue that is enclosed.) I have read that you can break the cover glass if you press too hard, so read the directions and don't press too hard.;)
The MR LL video from Solms shows a Leica worker using one. It looks like she is stabbing at the cover glass pretty hard, so I don't think you have to be too afraid.:ROTFL: