Site Sponsors

Thread: M9 firmware wishlist

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

M9 firmware wishlist

I came up with this list while reading a thread at LUF. Let's start a wish list here...

Overall I love my M9, but there are some items that need to be addressed in the next firmware update:

SD card compatibility and speed
    There are still too many issues with cards not being compatible, and not taking advantage of faster cards on the market.

Speed of rendering image on LCD during playback
    There's too long of a delay to see the image on the LCD. The first image that shows up is too pixelated, and the delay while waiting for the refined version is too long.

6-bit coding should over-ride manual lens setting
    When the camera is set to manual lens selection (for a lens that is not 6-bit coding), and then you changes lenses and put a 6-bit coded lens back on the camera (without setting the camera back to "Automatic lens detection"), the camera should recognize that the lens is 6-bit coded, and use that information to over-ride the current manual setting. It is far too easy to forget to set back to Automatic, and have incorrect lens corrections applied to the image. I had my camera set to manual - 90 Elmarit, and then shot a few dozen images with the WATE - the camera stayed on manual setting for 90 Elmarit, which produced images with bad corners.

ISO display in info screen
    When you push the info button to see battery / SD card status on the LCD, it should also show the current ISO setting. This saves time from having to also press the ISO button to see your current setting.

Ability to disable Auto-ISO when using manual shutter speed settings
    There should be an option that would disable Auto-ISO if you switch to manual shutter speed setting. Currently, if you are set to Auto ISO, take a shot, and realize that you need to adjust exposure, so you dial in a different shutter speed on the top dial (keeping aperture constant), the auto ISO will kick in and essentially undo your manual exposure compensation. This makes sense in some cases, but is frustrating when you are trying to manually control exposure using the shutter speed dial and forget to turn off auto-ISO. I would like a custom setting that allows me to disable auto-ISO when a manual shutter speed is selected.

Add more user configured presets
    I really like the four user-defined camera settings that can be memorized and stored (and even named). I wish that I could store more than 4. I'd like to be able to create, name, and store up to 10 presets for the various combinations of settings that I often use.
    Last edited by Mike Hatam; 8th November 2009 at 03:23.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: M9 firmware wishlist

HI Mike
    Well - that's NOTHING like the LUF stuff! How disappointing, you've named a number of things which are both possible and desirable, and you haven't been grumpy at all

I agree with all of them - and I would like to add just one thing:

B&W Preview with RAW
    The ability to shoot RAW only and have a B&W preview (it did this in the very earliest firmware)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

SD card formatting speed. I'm sure this is on the todo list.
    I'd also like to see the shutter lag improved to at least what it was with the m8.2.
    I think we'll also see some high iso improvement.
    Best,
    Ron

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    B&W Preview with RAW
    The ability to shoot RAW only and have a B&W preview (it did this in the very earliest firmware)
    +1e100
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike, I don't have my M9 yet, told next Friday, but each of those things you listed I agree with
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    +1e100
    That is a whole lot of +1s ?
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I *really* want B&W DNG mode to make a return. 1 * 10^100.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Love the camera, but need to be honest that it needs some tuning.

+whatever it takes for these.

Long exposures - an extra + for this one.

One cannot keep the shutter open on the M9 longer than 250 sec. I want it to stay open for 3 hours, or six hours, or however long I choose. If for tech reasons the shutter has to close after 250 seconds, then let me turn off the dark frame subtraction so I can take another shot right away. Leica should take the "B" off of the shutter speed dial as it doesn't truthfully belong there, or fix the firmware so that it does.

LCD speed, including speed to zoom in and check focus. M9 feels like a Model T with engine problems compared with my Nikon/Canon gear in this respect.

SD card issues. Formatting time, compatibility, etc. See Model T comment above.

B&W preview with DNG
    Last edited by Steve Fines; 8th November 2009 at 09:17.
    ---------------
    Steve
    www.finesart.com

Post Thanks / Like

I do not agree that the 6 bit code should override manual lens setting. I prefer to mantain the freedom to choose.
    Cheers,
    Ario

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also want the flexibility to use settings other than the "standard" based on the six bit code. A quick look at the M9 review at Sean Reid's site shows that those corrections are not always correct or should I say optimized.

I think it is funny because we all reacted negatively when Leica refused to put in a manual lens option because they said that people will make mistakes (like forgetting to set it back to auto when appropriate) and they (Leica) would get negative press as a result. Now we have what we asked for and are complaining that we are negatively affected because it doesn't revert automatically. Funny LOL

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Optimally, there would be a custom toggle to turn on/off the 6-bit over-ride feature.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, that just added two more choices to the system... I think that Leica got it right this time. The balance between simplicity and function is delicate, and catering to preference can explode the number of choices very quickly. I would code all your lenses and leave it on automatic. Problem (and wallet) solved.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike, that just added two more choices to the system... I think that Leica got it right this time. The balance between simplicity and function is delicate, and catering to preference can explode the number of choices very quickly. I would code all your lenses and leave it on automatic. Problem (and wallet) solved.
    HI Carsten
    Well - I think that this is quite important, but a better way to do it would be simply to add one line to the lens selection menu option:

Lens Selection:
    Off
    Auto
    Manual
    Manual with over-ride for coded lenses

That way there are no confusing extra menu options with toggles, it's pretty self explanatory, and it allows you to code lenses differently if you choose to.

There are certainly examples of lenses which are better coded 'wrongly'

Better than that, it will allow you to have 1 'special' uncoded lens:
    if, for instance you have an old 35 'cron type IV, then you can set it up in Manual with over-ride, then, when you use a coded lens it'll get it right, when you use the 35, it'll revert to that.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carsten - some lenses, such as the 135 APO Telyt - do not have a 6-bit code. In order to capture the focal length in EXIF, I have to manually set the lens each time I mount it. Then I have to worry about remembering to set back to Auto when I unmount that lens.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like

Well thought out, Mike. WRT the coding issue, Jonos has covered it like a blanket. Most of these wishes seem doable in firmware, so c'mon Leica, get crackin'!

I would also damn the expense and wish for a sapphire LCD cover. I could get along w/o it, but as a bit of a WIS (that's 'Watch Idiot Savant' to the uninitiated), I treasure sapphire crystals for their hardiness.

Gimme all this in an M9.2, Leica, and you have my order. (I'm sure that'll get 'em busy.)
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hatam View Post
    Carsten - some lenses, such as the 135 APO Telyt - do not have a 6-bit code. In order to capture the focal length in EXIF, I have to manually set the lens each time I mount it. Then I have to worry about remembering to set back to Auto when I unmount that lens.
    Can you assign a user preset with lens detection settings so you can have a 135apo setting with a click to preset? Its still something you'll have to remember to switch back so maybe no difference.
    Last edited by mwalker; 8th November 2009 at 17:25.
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike - no, those settings (manual lens detection setting) are not stored in the presets.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree with all of the points on the list, with a particular for the coded lens override mode. The default behavior seems a little strange and would certainly make sense to have some options as described Jono.

The auto-ISO & manual mode is certainly one that I'd like to have an option to set how it behaves. I've personally been burned by this one with the M8 when manually bracketing and only noticed in post that all the images we normalized by ISO. I think that it would need to be a configurable option though because there's definitely an advantage with ISO normalizing exposure if desired too.

Finally, a full chrome finish version of the M9. Ooops, sorry not that's a firmware fix

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Graham
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post

The auto-ISO & manual mode is certainly one that I'd like to have an option to set how it behaves. I've personally been burned by this one with the M8 when manually bracketing and only noticed in post that all the images we normalized by ISO. I think that it would need to be a configurable option though because there's definitely an advantage with ISO normalizing exposure if desired too.
    HI Graham

Although I can see the argument for this . . I can also see the argument that you have to remember to change things anyway, and getting into the habit of turning off (or on) auto ISO when you set a specific shutter speed is just as simple as getting in to the habit of changing the setting in the menu. After all, using auto ISO in manual mode can actually be VERY useful (it gives you a kind of shutter priority) - this means that if you ARE given the option, you can just as easily get yourself burned in the other direction.

I don't think it would save any button presses (rather the opposite).

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Finally, a full chrome finish version of the M9. Ooops, sorry not that's a firmware fix
    9.2? with a sapphire screen? for another $1000? would you?

Just this guy you know

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, yes I agree there's definitely value with the ISO shifting automatically in manual mode and it's super useful if you want a particular exposure time & aperture combination for a particular image characteristic. I do this relatively often with my DSLR although I tend also to use the bracketing function of the camera in manual mode too which does lock the ISO once it has picked it for the initial base exposure. Hmm, maybe time to try out the new Leica auto-bracket now instead.

I can't deny that leaving auto-ISO on and manually changing the shutter was 'user error' but having an override mode just for manual would be helpful if you wanted it as your personal preference (which I actually would).

Chrome & sapphire for $1000 extra? ... nope I don't think so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

#1 for me would be availability of the camera to buy.

but carry on folks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still in Costa Rica. I hope I can just get 1.02 to work correctly. The AWB doesn't recognize florescent and the auto review works erratically. Anyone having this experience??
    Best to all,

Reynolds

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to have fast access (like for ISO and EV) to switch on bracketing.
    Or maybe an option in the menue to program the "self timer" position of the switch as "bracketing on" position.
    I now use it very often for landscape stuff-but when I photograph people in between I want to quickly switch it off and afterwards back on.
    Typical problem on a sunday afternoon walk in harsh light.

The vignetting correction of jpgs seems less intensive that that of the DNG converted in c1. I think the jpg-vignetting correction for some lenses could be a little stronger.

Last: I feel the M9 is very slightly less responsive than the M8-I think I read something that the shutter delay is very slightly longer and I believe that I feel it. Dont know if this can be speeded up.

Overall these are all minor points and the M9 is a great camera IMO.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom, is it possible to program one of the user profiles for the exposure bracketing?
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, is it possible to program one of the user profiles for the exposure bracketing?
    good question - I will try to find out. dont know now.