The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sean Reid's X1 Review Part 2 is up

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I'm seeing the camera with a finder....using Hyper-focal on the streets.
For the few times I would need AF, I'm sure the camera would suffice.

It's getting a bad rap and it's not been tested properly yet. A short time testing a camera is not really a good way to judge a camera.

When the Pen 1 came out, there was much said on both sides of the fence. After a few months with it, I love it and it does what I need it to do.

The X1 seems like a good choice for street shooters. The 35mm fov is perfect and the IQ seems better than right.
For most streetshooters, this one especially, that's all that matters....

The good thing is...if it sucks, it will still hold a good resale value.....
But I don't expect it to come to that...
shooter

bradhusick

I agree. I plan to shoot the X1 wide open, auto-shutter, optical viewfinder, AF center point, LCD off except for review, auto ISO limited to 1250. How does it perform in this mode?

Brian Mosley

Shooter, I agree about taking a few weeks/months to come to a solid conclusion about a camera... unfortunately most people don't seem to have the patience for that.

I've lost count of the number of posts from people who picked a camera up in the shop, or loaned a camera for a couple of weeks before sending it back... only to pontificate on dpreview - what's that got to do with photography?

Off my soap box now :deadhorse:, going for a lie down :ROTFL:

Cheers

Brian

cam

one point against it is the shatter lag, even in manual -- it can only be hoped that this is fixed in firmware update. i've been there and done that before, and it's not something i want in a street camera.

the one thing that cannot be fixed is the placement of the manual focus dial -- right where your thumb rests... that, at least, Sigma got right.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I agree. I plan to shoot the X1 wide open, auto-shutter, optical viewfinder, AF center point, LCD off except for review, auto ISO limited to 1250. How does it perform in this mode?
Well, it looks like you and I are about to find out.
There's much to see about this camera and hopefully on release, they will in fact have it right.
Leica worries me somewhat. I got burned on the early M8s, 4 xs and I don't want that experience ever again.
Let's see what they got........

barjohn

I thought the Sigmas were a great concept and the Foveon images sure looked to have very good IQ but when i read about the poor focusing performance and lack of responsivness and poor resolution LCD I decided to pass and it wasn't a $2K camera.

barjohn

Supposedly X-1 demand is 3X above what Leica expected: http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPage.html?page=870832
Where did you see that? It wasn't in the article you linked. What was the expected number? Without detailed numbers statements like that are meaningless. Maybe they only expected demand for 6 units and they actually had demand for 18 units. So what? Pre orders are just that pre orders and many get cancelled before they become real orders and sales. We will know more when they actually start delivering them.

The article on the S2 was interesting. They don't know my mid November whether they will build 100 or 200 for delivery in December? If they have orders for 200 why wouldn't they build 200. :wtf:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
John

Its just a forum discussion. What s this BS about having to prove everything to even post it. The poster indicated that it was just something he heard and its a relevant consideration.

Where did you see that? It wasn't in the article you linked. What was the expected number? Without detailed numbers statements like that are meaningless. Maybe they only expected demand for 6 units and they actually had demand for 18 units. So what? Pre orders are just that pre orders and many get cancelled before they become real orders and sales. We will know more when they actually start delivering them.

The article on the S2 was interesting. They don't know my mid November whether they will build 100 or 200 for delivery in December? If they have orders for 200 why wouldn't they build 200. :wtf:

John Black

If you're not happy with the quality of BJP's reporting, send the editor(s) an email. Ranting here won't change a thing.

cam

nevermind.

i was asking JB to clarify, and then found his supporting reference in the last sentence of the article.

cheers!

Last edited:

fotografz

I'm results oriented, not spec sheet oriented. Sean seems to have gotten a lot of good street shots despite all the negatives posted here. If he can do it, so can I ... ;)

This interests me for a companion to my M9 ... I don't want a M8 back-up, and for now a second M9 places me on a delivery list sometime in 2012 ... when the world is coming to an end anyway :ROTFL:

If this is the only way to get to a larger sized sensor in a package this small ... okay-dokey. 35 FOV is what I'd be using on any camera like this anyway.

Plus, the AF fully auto exposure feature is an easy sell to the wifey so she can use it, (just as long as I don't tell her how much it was. :angel:)

But something like this is way down the list of priorities as I ponder the S2 which financially promises to bring the world to an end even before 2012 :eek:

-Marc

barjohn

Sorry, it wasn't meant as a rant toward the poster or anyone else. I just didn't see what he was referring to and was asking. The other comment was directed at Leica not the poster. Their statement didn't make any sense.

cam

Sorry, it wasn't meant as a rant toward the poster or anyone else. I just didn't see what he was referring to and was asking.
i didn't see it either -- it had to be pointed out to me...

i understand that sites have adverts to subsidise their web presence, but the ones that use video or movement/flash of any kind distract me from the substance... those rolling Canons made me look down and, hence, miss the relevant sentence.

now that is something i can really rant about.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Sean has revised his review - the shutter lag is vastly improved with the production firmware (the story is actually more complicated than that, se the review, but the news is good). I'm relieved, and will probably buy the X1 that I have an order position on.