The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm really impressed with the M8 detail/Printing

woodyspedden

Some folks may also like to test out a new fiber based, high gloss paper from Lexjet. It is their Sunset Fiber Elite 285g. It is not a baryta paper, but it does produce that air-dried, high gloss of traditional wet chemistry papers, from what I am seeing. It looks to be priced between the Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk and the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper, and maybe a bit more than the Harman Fiber Glossy FB Ai paper, but not by much. I believe the paper is made by Innova, who actually makes papers for a lot of others that just rebrand things.

Here is link to the stock and prices at Lexjet for this stuff. (I am not repping Lexjet or anything like that, but just thought to offer up some other options to folks looking for a quality paper. They also have profiles for this for most printers.)

http://tinyurl.com/6cj3z6

LJ

I believe this paper is the equivalent of Innova Fiba Print Gloss. A very very nice surface and produces fine prints. Like it a lot

Woody

harmsr

Workshop Member
Don't bother paying the extra for the ColorBurst RIP that comes with the 3800 Pro package. I did and regret it. The RIP they supply is limited and only has profiles for the Epson papers.

LJL

I believe this paper is the equivalent of Innova Fiba Print Gloss. A very very nice surface and produces fine prints. Like it a lot

Woody
Probably right, Woody, since they are making all of it. There is a Sunset Fiber Gloss, but this Sunset Fiber Elite seems even better with a bit more of the true air-dried glossy look.

LJ

LJL

Don't bother paying the extra for the ColorBurst RIP that comes with the 3800 Pro package. I did and regret it. The RIP they supply is limited and only has profiles for the Epson papers.
I agree. If somebody wants a RIP for an Epson printer, the ImagePrint RIP by Colorbyte is still the platinum standard on this, and it will handle almost any kind of paper, canvas, fabric, film, you name it, and under daylight, cool white fluorescent, tungsten, and a couple other viewing light options. Not cheap, but definitely runs circles around the ColorBusrt RIP, in my opinion.

LJ

LJL

Probably right, Woody, since they are making all of it. There is a Sunset Fiber Gloss, but this Sunset Fiber Elite seems even better with a bit more of the true air-dried glossy look.

LJ
Correction: The Lexjet Sunset Fiber Elite 285g paper is not the Innova FibaPrint Gloss suggested by Woody, but the Innova FibaPrint Ultrasmooth Gloss 285GSM paper.....it is a newer paper than the original Gloss.

LJ

robertwright

Is the Epson 3800 a move up from the Canon ipf5000? The thing that frustrates me is that the Canon still does not have drivers for Leopard however there is a cumbersome work around.

Also this place has good prices on paper and printers

http://www.itsupplies.com/cgi-bin/itsupplies.storefront/4803b9d70a44145027404200c14c05e7/Catalog
I don't think so. I have seen prints from the 5000 and make prints from the 3800 and the canon prints were very nice. I am sure there is a difference but the canon is capable making very good prints.

the difference is in the usability of the printer, the canon is difficult, supposedly corrected in the newer 5100, things like documentation were very bad with the 5000, plus other glitches. Media handling and specifying was difficult on the 5000. the 3800 however is a breeze. LULa says the 5100 may have solved many of those early issues however.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Can one purchase that action??:)
It's not really actionable unless you make a dedicated action for each specific size print. Bottom line is the process is not secret since I've published it before on a different forum, but it has been refined ;)

The basics are:

1) Get your file the way you want it looking AT ITS NATIVE SIZE, INCLUDING OPTIMAL DETAIL ENHANCEMENT AT THAT SIZE.

2) Uprez to your desired output size plus 15 - 20% in one shot using Bicubic Smoother. Example: If you want your final print to be a 16x24 at 360 PPI, then upsize it to 16x24 at 420 - 440 PPI. Note that final print resolution setting should be optimized for the printer/media combos being used.

3) Once at the over size, you can add some targeted edge sharpening if desired. Usually not required or recommended until one goes larger than 16x24 from a typical 8-16 MP file.

4) Downsize to target size using Bicubic Sharper. Example, take our above image from 16x24 at 440 PPI down to 16x24 at 360 PPI.

5) Add any required edits specific to the output size.

6) Print it.

The above steps will generate a very nice large print file, though admittedly I have a few additional "secret sauce" edits I keep to share with the workshop attendees.

Cheers,

woodyspedden

Correction: The Lexjet Sunset Fiber Elite 285g paper is not the Innova FibaPrint Gloss suggested by Woody, but the Innova FibaPrint Ultrasmooth Gloss 285GSM paper.....it is a newer paper than the original Gloss.

LJ
Good Catch..........My bad

Woody

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Jack,

I'm not sure what you're gaining by pushing and pulling the pixels like this. My philosophy and advice is to not uprez at all, regardless of print size. Whether I print a 4x6 or a 20x30, I use my native file, be it 10, 12, or 22MP. This could be because of the printing equipment and Kodak lab software we use, but even when printing through ImagePrint to the Epson 9600, I don't change up or down from native size. My belief is that less is more.

As a lab, we've printed millions of digital images from tens of thousands of customers over the years. I've had many pros give me a 50MB JPG sized at 20x30 @ 300 ppi and my native 6MB JPG from the M8 comes out better. Of course, the customer I'm thinking of only shot a "lowly" Canon MkIII. :)

I made an offer to you before.... send me your native processed files and let me show you what I'm talking about. Or, let me send you some of my own work. Seeing is believing. The proof is in the print, my friend.

David

A

aero

Take David up on it Jack - he knows of what he speaks. Hey David, where are my prints man? I liked using that front end app to upload stuff :)

-Dan

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
First off gentlemen Jack is a master printer and this is not kindergarden teaching. Second David labs uses a Lightjet which has it's own hardware interpolation built into it , so he does not have to do anything to the file the hardware and software does it. Not the case with Epson inkjets.

Lightjet
4. Real-time Hardware Interpolation

Using our proprietary adaptive 16-point bi-cubic algorithm, the LightJet enhances sharpness through on-the-fly pixel interpolation. Because the pixels are faithful to the original image, the system can output small files at high resolution with no loss of sharpness. Unlike software interpolators which limit the flexibility of the interpolation process, our hardware uses complex algorithms to produce the best possible results. For example, the LightJets adaptive interpolation gives users the ability to sharpen some areas of an image, while maintaining softness in other areas - no other printer has this capability.

5. High Productivity

With the 200 dpi option, the LightJet will print a 50x50" image in 4.1 minutes (on RA4 paper). Smaller prints are produced even faster. Inkjet printers operating in "photographic mode" can take up to 10 times longer to produce a half-tone image.

6. Optional Software Optimizes Workflow

Cymbolic Sciences has created an open interface that allows for numerous workflow solutions. System Manager XL is optional software that incorporates invaluable features that can accelerate workflow when producing a mixture of print sizes from a variety of image data files.

The software accepts PostScript (RGB/CMYK) and TIFF (RGB/CMYK) intermixed on the same page with no preprocessing required.
The integrated PostScript RIP automatically calculates and RIPs file to size with no operator intervention
Both PostScript and TIFF files, either in RGB or CMYK, can be previewed and color adjusted. Visual feedback is provided to the operator for color correction.
CMYK files are converted to RGB as the files are imaged with no pre-processing required
Different color corrections can be applied to individual image files that are printed on the same page
Distinct sizing, cropping and interpolation factors can be applied to each image on the fly while imaging.

Let's not confuse commercial laser printers like a Lambda and Lightjet to inkjet printers there different beasts altogether.

More info on Lightjet http://www.cymbolic.com/products/lightjet5000.html

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Here is the bottom line

Image Interpolation and Sharpness Control

Hardware Interpolation

Adaptive 16-point bi-cubic spline applied on a per frame basis. Does not increase the size of files being transferred or reduce productivity.

System Manager Software Interpolation

Automatic bi-cubic interpolation applied on a per image basis (multiple images within a frame can be scaled independently). Exact sizing feature provides for automatic scaling and interpolation to specific dimensions.

Interpolation Scaling Range

Hardware: 100% to 1,000%
Software: 25% to 400%

Sharpness Filters

User selectable with defaults that allow different portions of an image to be sharpened or smoothed adaptively on a per frame basis.

And if you have a 250 k to put one in your house than go for it. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
David, I will send you a simple print to print for me on your lightjet, my printer test image. I'll even keep it simple, just make me a 16x20 of it. You want it as an sRGB jpeg, correct?

Just let me know to send it and it will be on its way.

Cheers,

dfarkas

Workshop Member
David, I will send you a simple print to print for me on your lightjet, my printer test image. I'll even keep it simple, just make me a 16x20 of it. You want it as an sRGB jpeg, correct?

Just let me know to send it and it will be on its way.
sRGB JPG, 8-bit. For monitor proofing use 100 cd2, D65, 2.2 Gamma. On our calibrated Eizo monitors with these settings we get what we see.

Normally, we color correct on monitor, then run 8x10 test prints on anything larger than 12x18. Every image is individually color corrected before printing regardless of size. If you want me to run something uncorrected, let me know. And, while 16x20 is fine, let me make you some 20x30s also.

The best way to submit is using our iPrints Professional ROES software. It's Java based so it runs on Mac or PC the same. You can download it here.

You'll need to enter your customer number in the My Information window. Jack, your cust id is 6343. Just put in the order instructions "attn: David - Samples". You won't be charged.

I look forward to seeing the results.

David

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Take David up on it Jack - he knows of what he speaks. Hey David, where are my prints man? I liked using that front end app to upload stuff :)

-Dan
Thanks Dan.

Small mixup with the Duratrans. You should have the prints in a few days. Sorry for the delay.

David