The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which flash for the M8?

durrIII

I mostly shoot natural light, but sometimes need a little fill flash. Also, for portraits, what flash do you guys recommend? thanks, Durr

francishmt

I have the SF24D. It's a bit harsh, but if I dial down the flash output, I can get it to work ok. Might try to invent my own bouncer to bounce the light upward. Project for the weekend, if I ever get to it.

fotografz

I mostly shoot natural light, but sometimes need a little fill flash. Also, for portraits, what flash do you guys recommend? thanks, Durr
I also use the SF24D ... I always use the S-Fill diffuser on it which helps reduce the harshness. Since the SF24D can't be swiveled and bounced, I've just used it for fill with a little puff of light to augment the ambient, or help with back lit subjects while holding some background tone.

When shooting in the portrait orientation I place the flash on the opposite side of the prevailing ambient light direction. So, for portraits, if the prevailing ambient direction is camera left, I turn the camera to place the flash on the camera right side to fill the shadows a bit. Works pretty well to keep some dimensional modeling rather than lit flatly head on.

I tried the SF58 and it was bigger than the camera and completely ruined the M balance, so I returned it ... thanks, but no thanks.

I've tried all kinds of smaller flashes on A, and a zillion different modifiers, but always return the SF24D and S-Fill diffuser which was designed specifically for these SF 20/24D flashes. However, you cannot use it set to A as the bounce back from the S-Fill produces false readings and gross underexposure.

-Marc