Site Sponsors

Thread: Which flash for the M8?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which flash for the M8?

I mostly shoot natural light, but sometimes need a little fill flash. Also, for portraits, what flash do you guys recommend? thanks, Durr

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which flash for the M8?

I have the SF24D. It's a bit harsh, but if I dial down the flash output, I can get it to work ok. Might try to invent my own bouncer to bounce the light upward. Project for the weekend, if I ever get to it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by durrIII View Post
    I mostly shoot natural light, but sometimes need a little fill flash. Also, for portraits, what flash do you guys recommend? thanks, Durr
    I also use the SF24D ... I always use the S-Fill diffuser on it which helps reduce the harshness. Since the SF24D can't be swiveled and bounced, I've just used it for fill with a little puff of light to augment the ambient, or help with back lit subjects while holding some background tone.

When shooting in the portrait orientation I place the flash on the opposite side of the prevailing ambient light direction. So, for portraits, if the prevailing ambient direction is camera left, I turn the camera to place the flash on the camera right side to fill the shadows a bit. Works pretty well to keep some dimensional modeling rather than lit flatly head on.

I tried the SF58 and it was bigger than the camera and completely ruined the M balance, so I returned it ... thanks, but no thanks.

I've tried all kinds of smaller flashes on A, and a zillion different modifiers, but always return the SF24D and S-Fill diffuser which was designed specifically for these SF 20/24D flashes. However, you cannot use it set to A as the bounce back from the S-Fill produces false readings and gross underexposure.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds like the SF24D is what I need to try. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the S-Fill diffuser and where can one order it? Marc, do u have a picture of it mounted to the flash?