The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How realistic are these prices of Leica lenses?

francishmt

Many of you must have seen this. My question, how realistic are these prices? I know they are only for reference, but are they even in the ball park?

The reason I ask is because some lenses on the used market seems to command (at least attempt to) a much higher price than the link above. Is the list simply outdated, or is it wishful thinking from the sellers?

http://www.antiquecameras.net/leicamlenses.html

JWW

I notice that some prices are already up in this Nov revision and may continue up for M9 desirable lenses due to demand from new M9 camera owners.

M

Mango

I have seen Dan Colucci's website over the years, and while it is a good start for anyone buying or selling, if you are uncomfortable, it pays to do your own research. Some of the prices are fine, others are low and high. It also depends on how desperate you are to buy or sell. It's a Turkish bazaar out there, pure capitalism.

fotografz

I think there are multiple factors at work here that make it difficult to pin point current pricing.

The price of new M lenses continues to rise and promises to rise again soon ... this drags along used prices with it.

As the M9 starts getting into more new hands it'll place even more pressure on used prices ... especially for the popular focal lengths.

Scarcity plays a huge role ... the 50/1.4 ASPH is an example of this ... new ones are hard to come by. Another example is the much loved, but now discontinued 75/1.4 ... especially later German ones with factory 6 bit coding ... you have to pry them from the cold dead fingers of those who own them : -)

If it's wishful thinking by sellers, it seems their wishes are coming true since every desirable M lens that gets listed is gone in a NY heartbeat. My 50/1.4 ASPH sold immediately and I had 6 buyers for it in 15 minutes. I probably could have sold it for $300. more than I asked. :banghead:

-Marc

oc garza

Agree with Mango, that the site is a good starting point only. I have paid more than the listed price for some lenses and far less for others. The final price is typcially indictive of how much I want it and how much the seller has kept up on going prices.

On a related note, I recently sold all my Canon EOS equipment. This was top of the line, pro bodies, "L" lenses from 14mm to 600. Not one piece of this equipment was purchased new. I commented to a friend from this forum that I sold enough equipment to buy 2 M9s and a Noctilux (used, not current Noct). I did not pay that much for the equipment. My point is that good, professional lenses are investments. Especially if purchased used in good condition. So the price you pay is important, certainly, but the right used lenses continue to increase in value as the new lens prices increase. I can't speak for other brands but this certainly holds for Canon and Leica.

I have seen Dan Colucci's website over the years, and while it is a good start for anyone buying or selling, if you are uncomfortable, it pays to do your own research. Some of the prices are fine, others are low and high. It also depends on how desperate you are to buy or sell. It's a Turkish bazaar out there, pure capitalism.