The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 and which two lenses for Grand Canyon

retow

I'll be visiting the Grand Canyon soon (first time) and would like to travel as light as possible with M8 and two lenses only. For those familiar with the area, which focal lengths wold you not want to miss for the Canyon, but also for the drive from Vegas to the Canyon.
Your input is highly appreciated.

rchisholm

I don't know about the GC, but when I was in Vegas last March, the 15 and 28mm focal lengths were amazing for cityscapes. I imagine these would work very well with the GC landscapes as well.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The grand canyon needs not only a wide lens
but also a deep one.
-bob

M

Mango

I would take two bodies and two lenses, but that's just me. A backup body, film or digital, would avoid a potential disaster. Maybe I'm a bit too paranoid.

PS. The best view I got of the Grand Canyon (and Bryce Canyon and other sights) was on a midday flight from Salt Lake City to Phoenix. The pilot recommended a window seat. I didn't have a camera.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I just got back from Bryce. I find when visiting those spots that a longer lens yields many of the best photos, so as Bob suggested, take a wide and a tele. My pick would be 15 or 21 and 75 or 90 (the WATE and 75 would be perfect.)

retow

Thanks for all your input. I guess M8 with Elmarit 24 (or Cron 28) plus Summarit 75 will go into the bag. As the second body, GF1 will join and cover the really wide end, (provided I receive the 7-14 mm I just ordered timely enough), as well as the longer end with the 14-140 mm lens. And if I pick the Elmarit over the Cron, the Pana 20 will find its way into the bag to have a fast lens inlcuded as well :)
Oh, almost forgot, adding the m to 4/3 mount adapter will provide even greater flexibility.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks for all your input. I guess M8 with Elmarit 24 (or Cron 28) plus Summarit 75 will go into the bag. As the second body, GF1 will join and cover the really wide end, (provided I receive the 7-14 mm I just ordered timely enough), as well as the longer end with the 14-140 mm lens. And if I pick the Elmarit over the Cron, the Pana 20 will find its way into the bag to have a fast lens inlcuded as well :)
Oh, almost forgot, adding the m to 4/3 mount adapter will provide even greater flexibility.
It sounds like you are covered. Have a wonderful trip. I just used the G1/GF1 for the backup to my M8/M4P on my trip to Bryce (and don't forget to stop at the Red Canyon.)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would take a 90mm on a M8. Also it should be noted the GC is a vast space ( a big freaking hole in the ground) but most of your shots you want to get in on, so take some kind of length . If you want to see the river for instance it's a long ways away. On my MF system I use the 300 which is about a 200mm in 35mm and my 150 a lot which is basically a 90 for you. Besides all that sometimes it is hazy and wide shots can look horrible like a wash out. This time of the year it is cooler so prepare yourself for that as well. BTW i do workshops all over the the country but I reside here in AZ. and it's a great spot but go on the east loop for better shooting than the Canyon Village. Also the shuttle that takes you on the west loop is pretty nice as well. Get up early and shoot late in the day. Food in the park is just okay but pricy as well. No win on that one. Sedona , Page , Marble Canyon and several other places are very unique as well. I would not plan on more than 2 days in GC unless you are willing to hike down in the Canyon other wise the scenic loops are really only a day if you know where you are going and plan for morning east side and sunset west side. Remember it's the 7th wonder of the world and a huge tourist trap. Winter is far better than the spring and summer months but Canyon Village is busy.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I shot the GC last year with my M8.2/M8u and ended up keeping the WATE on one body and a 90 Elmarit-M on the other. It was the ideal combo for me.