The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody still using the R system

Well, yes and no.

I have started to use the 28mm, 50mm and 100mm R system lenses with a Nikon D3x camera and could not be happier. What I have always cherished about using Leica lenses on the M8 has transferred nicely to this combination.

I recently added a 180mm, and now all I need is some time to enjoy.

G

gmanp

Yep, Pair of R8 bodies and an SL with 21, 28, 50, 90, 180, 250mm lenses and a 2X: my kit for the last 7 years :)

cdnguyen

I'm keeping an RE sold my R8s it was too heavy to lug around and R lenses 21, 35, 50, 90and 60mm. Use my 5D camera as digital R solution.

fishandfowl

You bet.

The R gear that I use from time to time is listed below:

Cameras:

(3) R9 bodies, (two black and one anthracite) each with its own DMR (I purchased early and often so that I would have sufficient backup, in case Leica follows up its cancellation of the R10 with a further abandonment and betrayal of its R system users by refusing to service the DMR).

R lenses
15/2.8
19/2.8
24/2.8 (don't use this one much at all anymore)28/2.8 PC
21-35
28-90
35-70 (German)
35/1.4 (latest)
50/1.4 (latest)
60/2.8 Macro with 1:1 extender - underrated but great little lens
80/1.4
100/2.8 APO with Elpro
180/2.8 APO Elmarit R (amazing)
2X tele extender
180/3.4 APO Telyt
280/4 Apo Telyt R‎ (amazing)
280/2.8 Apo Telyt R‎
400/6.8 Telyt R
560/6.8 Telyt R

Background:

I began with the SL, then SL2, then had R6s before getting the R9s with DMRs, which I use now. I am also experimenting with R glass on a Panasonic GH1 M4/3 with a LeicaR to Micro 4/3 converter from Novaflex. For an amazing combination try the 80/1.4 R on the GH1 or GF1, which becomes a 160/1.4, and it's incredibly easy to focus with these latest electronic viewfinders. I also tried R glass on Canon 5D and 1DSMII, but I can't stand the antialiasing filters which essentially "dumb down" the camera.

Has this been an expensive habit?
It has indeed, but it's cheaper than thoroughbreds, Yachts or Bentleys.

Lazzaros

I started my R addiction last month. I already had some R lenses to use on my Canon 500D at that time.

You can check an example here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lazzarosphotography/3236150093/in/set-72157621837972121/

This was the older version. I loved it and I'm talking about this lens on Canon 400D...

Now I own the Canon 5D MKI and I had the Summicron-R 35/2 but I sold it and never used (I didn't get the adaptor at that time and one friend wanted the lens so I sold it).

Last month I bought one Leica R8 (Made in Portugal, my country) as new with Vario-Elmar-R 28-70 ROM and I shooting the first roll.

This week arrived the Motor-Drive. R8 becomes even more beautiful with it.

I'm looking for some primes because I'm not into zooms but the ROM versions are very expensive for me right now. I'm only 22 and I have no full-time job so it is now easy...

I have one RTSIII if someone wants to trade lolol.

Regards,
Ivo

bensonga

It looks just like mine...what a beauty! :thumbup:

Congratulations Ivo. Enjoy it and good luck in all respects (finding a good job and those wonderful Leica R primes).

Gary

bensonga

You bet.

The R gear that I use from time to time is listed below:

Has this been an expensive habit?
It has indeed, but it's cheaper than thoroughbreds, Yachts or Bentleys.
An impressive collection! Expensive? Yes, but as I tell my wife, photography (even at this level) is still cheaper than owning, operating and maintaining a boat or a private airplane (popular hobbies here in Alaska).

Gary

gogopix

Subscriber
You bet I use the R system.

The lenses are fantastic. The R4s is my oldest R (for film), and I have the R9/DMR (at Leica now for a bit of CLA, I use so much!)

The lenses are another story. I use, in addition to the above.

A P65+ (you bet!, 60MP) with Truewide sliding back
A Kodak SLRc (with Canon adapter)
A Sigma 14 (with R body mount)

With a Leitax, you can use a Pentax K-7 or Sony A900 and get body stabilization (great for long teles hand held; I'm not as steady as Doug!)

My bet, a future Leica 4/3 will have an R adapter and you will get 20-30MP.

In the meantime, I have to agree with other DMR users-it had a 'look' that is unique, and 10 MP of really GOOD pixels goes a long way.

We sometimes forget that pixel peeping, and chart checking reminds me of the parallel in audio; the THD and rumble figures of the popular stereo mags were left behind in favor of 'sound' and 'musc'

If one focuses on images that satisfy, have character (see the Bryce canyon pix above) and just 'work' I think more people would be happy to stay with Leica R for many years.

regards
Victor

PS See the Truewide/P65+ below and what it captures at 200 ft!
I wonder how many DIFFERENT ways people have found to use these fine lenses.

Last edited:
I sold my DMR because I needed a lighter weight system, but had concerns that the M series would not offer the flexibility I needed. So now my R lenses hang on the front of a Sony. Surprisingly, 25 MP seems to have nothing on the DMR's 10 MP, the the 16-bit color of the Leica absolutely trounce the Sony, but the relatively small size of the Sony was a welcome change. I still have a R8 and the feel between the R8 and Sony is similar.

The only real lens change is I need to sell my 15/3.5 and pick up a 19 or 21.

bensonga

How easy is it to manual focus the R lenses on the Sony A900? I've heard folks say it's not too good on a Canon 5D (which I have, but have not used my R lenses with much yet).

Gary

How easy is it to manual focus the R lenses on the Sony A900? I've heard folks say it's not too good on a Canon 5D (which I have, but have not used my R lenses with much yet).

Gary
Pretty easy with the manual focus screen -- think it is the M. Actually I prefer it to the R8. On my last shoot I was getting about 1/20, f4, ISO 1250 and still had plenty of light to focus.

doug

... the R9/DMR (at Leica now for a bit of CLA, I use so much!)
Victor, have you gotten a cost estimate for this service? I need to send mine for a CLA, for the same reason. Fortunately I've purchased a backup (from Bill Green) so I can continue using a DMR while the first one is being serviced.

gogopix

Subscriber
Victor, have you gotten a cost estimate for this service? I need to send mine for a CLA, for the same reason. Fortunately I've purchased a backup (from Bill Green) so I can continue using a DMR while the first one is being serviced.
It is likely 400-600. In my case the booting was acting up, so it was for an 'out of warranty repair'. I would guess just CLA would run 300 or so. My repair includes replacing a circuit board and all connections Iwas getting , as well as poor contacts, even after good cleaning.)

They are also doing my R9, so that they will test the combo and make sure it works as well as CLA.

All in seems worth it (and my R9 and DMR are one of the oldest.)
We'll see - but what is interesting for all the mechanical and battery contact problems in booting, once it was on, the images were GREAT!

Victor

doug

It is likely 400-600. In my case the booting was acting up, so it was for an 'out of warranty repair'. I would guess just CLA would run 300 or so. My repair includes replacing a circuit board and all connections Iwas getting , as well as poor contacts, even after good cleaning.)

They are also doing my R9, so that they will test the combo and make sure it works as well as CLA.

All in seems worth it (and my R9 and DMR are one of the oldest.)
We'll see - but what is interesting for all the mechanical and battery contact problems in booting, once it was on, the images were GREAT!

Victor
Thanks Victor, that's less than I was expecting :)