Site Sponsors

Thread: Anybody still using the R system

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody still using the R system

Hi All,

I was just wondering how many active users are out there for the Leica R system? I also wanted to see what people thought of the following as a four lens kit:

2 x R9's
    24 2.8
    50 2.0
    80 1.4
    80-200 4

I might be bale to get a zoom not sure what the pick is between the 28-90 3.5-4.5 or the 35-90 f4?

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody still using the R system

The 80/14 is the jewel in the R lenses so that is almost mandatory.

I have no experience with the 24/2.8 but the 35/2.8 is a greatly underrated lens (at least if you look at the price for this lens second-hand)

I hav R8 and R9 but never use two cameras at the same time why the other is only backup.

You can have a look here for some inspiration on R system and lenses
    http://www.overgaard.dk/leica_digital_back_R.html

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hobbsr View Post
    Hi All,

I was just wondering how many active users are out there for the Leica R system? I also wanted to see what people thought of the following as a four lens kit:

2 x R9's
    24 2.8
    50 2.0
    80 1.4
    80-200 4

I might be bale to get a zoom not sure what the pick is between the 28-90 3.5-4.5 or the 35-90 f4?

Thanks for any help.

Regards
    One of the disadvantages of the zooms are the darker viewfinder which makes focusing a bit more difficult.
    As far as I know the 28-90 should be better than the 35-70 plus it is a very usefull range.
    If I would go back to the R system and use it on full frame I would probably choose the following if it should be 4 lenses:

19mm
    28-90mm
    50/1.4 (or 90/2.0 or 80/1.4)
    and probably a 180mm prime.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the 24/2.8 for use with an R6.2, along with a 35mm/2.0 and was very pleased with the results I got from both lenses. I've also used both a 28-90 and 21-35 zoom with an R8/DMR and got excellent results, although the 28-90 is rather large and heavy. Both of these zooms have the reputation of being at least as good optically as the fixed focal length lenses in the same range.

I only had a 50/2.0 for a short period - it's an excellent lens, but the 60/2.8 macro is more useful and at least as good optically.

The 90/2.0 is a very nice compact design which gives excellent results.

If you can find an Angenieux 70-210/3.5 zoom with an R-mount, that is also an excellent lens, and surprisingly light.
    Last edited by jlancasterd; 21st November 2009 at 09:07.
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The 80/1.4 and 80-200/4 are both excellent. The 80/1.4 was my favorite lens when I still had a DSLR system. The 35-70/4 is meant to be quite decent, but also nothing special. I had the 35/2 and is was okay, but I didn't really enjoy it that much. It had a nice look but you had to stop down a bit to get sharp corners. The 24/2.8 is meant to be one of the older designs in the lineup, so maybe it would be better to get the 21-35? Then again, it is a Leica R, so how bad could it be? I guess it depends if you go digital, use a fine-grain film, or go with something like Tri-X.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had the 24/2.8 and while generally OK it gave the worst ghosting of any lens I've ever owned. The 35/2.8 I had was excellent as Thorsten commented.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using R8 with 28/2.8 ROM, 50/2, 100/2.8 APO and 180/3.4 APO as a travel set. Sometimes, I also use 35-70/4 ROM and 90/2.8 along with a Contax G2 and 21/2.8 as a travel combination.

I would recommend all the above Leica lenses. But I think 19/2.8, 28-90, 80/1.4 and 80-200/4 would make an excellent 4-lens kit.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of selling my 21-35 if you're interested.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just loaded Ektar 100 in my R9... DMR is shelved.

19/2.8, 28/2.8, 35-70/4, Macro 60, 80/1.4, APO 280/4, APO 1.4x, APO 2x

A fantastic camera.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why shelve the DMR? I would have thought that the R system and DMR would be the solution of choice. I'm pretty sure that if the DMR were more easily available that I'd have gone down that route a while back instead of Nikon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's one in the semi-active user category. R8 with motordrive and motorwinder, 28/2.8 ROM, 50/2 ROM, 90/2.8 ROM and 80-200/4 ROM. Just bought this kit within the past year. It's a wonderful film camera.....I just wish there would have been a R10 DSLR as well.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

R6, 28 2.8 (latest ver.), 35 Lux, 80 Lux, 100 Apo.Macro, and 180 3.4 Apo, all great lenses, and a terrific film kit.......but would sure like a R10 or equivalent

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is an image of Bryce Canyon taken in 2006 with the R9/DMR and the Leica 28-90 zoom. I loved this zoom and have many images I consider pretty darned good. Hope this one helps you to see the capabilities compared to the 35-90 4.0. I had the 35-90 2.8 which was a truly spectacular lens if you could handle the weight.

Best

Woody

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Why shelve the DMR?
    I hate the crop factor... I absolutely love the R9 full frame with the 19 or the 80. The crop factor is okay for telephoto use; I like working with the R9, DMR, and 280/4.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently got rid of all my film gear, but realized I had forgotten all the lovely TriX out there. So I decided to lay my hands on a real cheap R4 and a 2,8/90 and just maybe a 180. If they´re allowed to stay? Time will tell.

leif e
    F2, FM2, D700, 3,5/20 UD, 2/35, 3,5/55, CV 2,5/75 (all ai or ai´d), 1,8/85 af-d,
    2,8/60 af-d

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The new Tmax-400 is also excellent. So many films, so few cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've just been out today taking test shots with my factory-new R8....
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using an R8 with DMR and mostly the 280mm f/4 APO & 560mm f/6.8 Telyt... also have a few shorter lenses. I have no thoughts of switching to another system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    The new Tmax-400 is also excellent. So many films, so few cameras.
    This is exactly why I refuse to sell my Mamiya 7II. Just a fabulous system if you are O.K. dealing with film

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Here is an image of Bryce Canyon taken in 2006 with the R9/DMR and the Leica 28-90 zoom. I loved this zoom and have many images I consider pretty darned good. Hope this one helps you to see the capabilities compared to the 35-90 4.0. I had the 35-90 2.8 which was a truly spectacular lens if you could handle the weight.

Best

Woody
    Beautiful image Woody. One of the best of Bryce that I have seen.

Gary

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    This is exactly why I refuse to sell my Mamiya 7II. Just a fabulous system if you are O.K. dealing with film
    Yeah, I have one too...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, yes and no.

I have started to use the 28mm, 50mm and 100mm R system lenses with a Nikon D3x camera and could not be happier. What I have always cherished about using Leica lenses on the M8 has transferred nicely to this combination.

I recently added a 180mm, and now all I need is some time to enjoy.
    Patrick

gmanp

Yep, Pair of R8 bodies and an SL with 21, 28, 50, 90, 180, 250mm lenses and a 2X: my kit for the last 7 years

Post Thanks / Like

I'm keeping an RE sold my R8s it was too heavy to lug around and R lenses 21, 35, 50, 90and 60mm. Use my 5D camera as digital R solution.

Post Thanks / Like

You bet.

The R gear that I use from time to time is listed below:

Cameras:

(3) R9 bodies, (two black and one anthracite) each with its own DMR (I purchased early and often so that I would have sufficient backup, in case Leica follows up its cancellation of the R10 with a further abandonment and betrayal of its R system users by refusing to service the DMR).

R lenses
    15/2.8
    19/2.8
    24/2.8 (don't use this one much at all anymore)28/2.8 PC
    21-35
    28-90
    35-70 (German)
    35/1.4 (latest)
    50/1.4 (latest)
    60/2.8 Macro with 1:1 extender - underrated but great little lens
    80/1.4
    100/2.8 APO with Elpro
    180/2.8 APO Elmarit R (amazing)
    2X tele extender
    180/3.4 APO Telyt
    280/4 Apo Telyt R‎ (amazing)
    280/2.8 Apo Telyt R‎
    400/6.8 Telyt R
    560/6.8 Telyt R

Background:

I began with the SL, then SL2, then had R6s before getting the R9s with DMRs, which I use now. I am also experimenting with R glass on a Panasonic GH1 M4/3 with a LeicaR to Micro 4/3 converter from Novaflex. For an amazing combination try the 80/1.4 R on the GH1 or GF1, which becomes a 160/1.4, and it's incredibly easy to focus with these latest electronic viewfinders. I also tried R glass on Canon 5D and 1DSMII, but I can't stand the antialiasing filters which essentially "dumb down" the camera.

Has this been an expensive habit?
    It has indeed, but it's cheaper than thoroughbreds, Yachts or Bentleys.

Post Thanks / Like

I started my R addiction last month. I already had some R lenses to use on my Canon 500D at that time.

You can check an example here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lazzaro...7621837972121/

This was the older version. I loved it and I'm talking about this lens on Canon 400D...

Now I own the Canon 5D MKI and I had the Summicron-R 35/2 but I sold it and never used (I didn't get the adaptor at that time and one friend wanted the lens so I sold it).

Last month I bought one Leica R8 (Made in Portugal, my country) as new with Vario-Elmar-R 28-70 ROM and I shooting the first roll.

This week arrived the Motor-Drive. R8 becomes even more beautiful with it.

I'm looking for some primes because I'm not into zooms but the ROM versions are very expensive for me right now. I'm only 22 and I have no full-time job so it is now easy...

I have one RTSIII if someone wants to trade lolol.

Regards,
    Ivo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It looks just like mine...what a beauty!

Congratulations Ivo. Enjoy it and good luck in all respects (finding a good job and those wonderful Leica R primes).

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fishandfowl View Post
    You bet.

The R gear that I use from time to time is listed below:

Has this been an expensive habit?
    It has indeed, but it's cheaper than thoroughbreds, Yachts or Bentleys.
    An impressive collection! Expensive? Yes, but as I tell my wife, photography (even at this level) is still cheaper than owning, operating and maintaining a boat or a private airplane (popular hobbies here in Alaska).

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

You bet I use the R system.

The lenses are fantastic. The R4s is my oldest R (for film), and I have the R9/DMR (at Leica now for a bit of CLA, I use so much!)

The lenses are another story. I use, in addition to the above.

A P65+ (you bet!, 60MP) with Truewide sliding back
    A Kodak SLRc (with Canon adapter)
    A Sigma 14 (with R body mount)

With a Leitax, you can use a Pentax K-7 or Sony A900 and get body stabilization (great for long teles hand held; I'm not as steady as Doug!)

My bet, a future Leica 4/3 will have an R adapter and you will get 20-30MP.

In the meantime, I have to agree with other DMR users-it had a 'look' that is unique, and 10 MP of really GOOD pixels goes a long way.

We sometimes forget that pixel peeping, and chart checking reminds me of the parallel in audio; the THD and rumble figures of the popular stereo mags were left behind in favor of 'sound' and 'musc'

If one focuses on images that satisfy, have character (see the Bryce canyon pix above) and just 'work' I think more people would be happy to stay with Leica R for many years.

regards
    Victor

PS See the Truewide/P65+ below and what it captures at 200 ft!
    I wonder how many DIFFERENT ways people have found to use these fine lenses.
    Last edited by gogopix; 25th January 2015 at 17:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I sold my DMR because I needed a lighter weight system, but had concerns that the M series would not offer the flexibility I needed. So now my R lenses hang on the front of a Sony. Surprisingly, 25 MP seems to have nothing on the DMR's 10 MP, the the 16-bit color of the Leica absolutely trounce the Sony, but the relatively small size of the Sony was a welcome change. I still have a R8 and the feel between the R8 and Sony is similar.

The only real lens change is I need to sell my 15/3.5 and pick up a 19 or 21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How easy is it to manual focus the R lenses on the Sony A900? I've heard folks say it's not too good on a Canon 5D (which I have, but have not used my R lenses with much yet).

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    How easy is it to manual focus the R lenses on the Sony A900? I've heard folks say it's not too good on a Canon 5D (which I have, but have not used my R lenses with much yet).

Gary
    Pretty easy with the manual focus screen -- think it is the M. Actually I prefer it to the R8. On my last shoot I was getting about 1/20, f4, ISO 1250 and still had plenty of light to focus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    ... the R9/DMR (at Leica now for a bit of CLA, I use so much!)
    Victor, have you gotten a cost estimate for this service? I need to send mine for a CLA, for the same reason. Fortunately I've purchased a backup (from Bill Green) so I can continue using a DMR while the first one is being serviced.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Victor, have you gotten a cost estimate for this service? I need to send mine for a CLA, for the same reason. Fortunately I've purchased a backup (from Bill Green) so I can continue using a DMR while the first one is being serviced.
    It is likely 400-600. In my case the booting was acting up, so it was for an 'out of warranty repair'. I would guess just CLA would run 300 or so. My repair includes replacing a circuit board and all connections Iwas getting , as well as poor contacts, even after good cleaning.)

They are also doing my R9, so that they will test the combo and make sure it works as well as CLA.

All in seems worth it (and my R9 and DMR are one of the oldest.)
    We'll see - but what is interesting for all the mechanical and battery contact problems in booting, once it was on, the images were GREAT!

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    It is likely 400-600. In my case the booting was acting up, so it was for an 'out of warranty repair'. I would guess just CLA would run 300 or so. My repair includes replacing a circuit board and all connections Iwas getting , as well as poor contacts, even after good cleaning.)

They are also doing my R9, so that they will test the combo and make sure it works as well as CLA.

All in seems worth it (and my R9 and DMR are one of the oldest.)
    We'll see - but what is interesting for all the mechanical and battery contact problems in booting, once it was on, the images were GREAT!

Victor
    Thanks Victor, that's less than I was expecting