The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica X1 β

Terry

The same person who did the Digilux 2 is doing the X1. Not sure if his role is called product manager or something else hence the word "doing".

dfarkas

Workshop Member
The same person who did the Digilux 2 is doing the X1. Not sure if his role is called product manager or something else hence the word "doing".
The gentleman you refer to is Kaoru Mokunaka. He is the product manager of the X1 and was the product manager of the LC1 (Digilux 2) when he worked at Panasonic.

He also serves as the Leica liaison to Panasonic.

David

Terry

Why couldn't someone just convince him to take the guts out of a Digilux 2 and just replace them with current technology. A lot of people very happy to buy that camera (leaving lens, and body design untoched).

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Why couldn't someone just convince him to take the guts out of a Digilux 2 and just replace them with current technology. A lot of people very happy to buy that camera (leaving lens, and body design untoched).
One word: sensor size.

The Digilux 2 used a 2/3" sensor (6.6 x 8.8mm)

The X1 uses an APS-C sensor (15.7 x 23.7mm)

I doubt the lens (even as large as it is) would be able to provide the image circle necessary for an APS-C sensor.

Still, I loved the Digilux 2 form factor and lens.

David

Terry

Didn't ask for big sensor as the lens was made for the smaller one. I can live with the 2/3 sensor using today's better sensor technology. You give up a lot on DOF control but man what a sweet camera.

nostatic

Well I'm not buying it...I can't read the menus! :p

I keep wondering what they were thinking when they designed the wheel placement. Seems to me there isn't enough room for your thumb without either hitting the wheel or menu interface buttons.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Theres just something about this camera I really like. The FOV is perfect and that flash is toooo cool....
My dealer promises me a sample to try mid Dec...hopefully.....

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I am just completely turned off by something at that price that can't swap lenses. No fun at all.
That Japanese web site looks pretty thorough, but OMG I wonder if they have any idea why one might buy one of those things unless thay have decided to take on MontBlanc as a distributor. BTW Montbalanc used to make pretty good pens until about 15-20 years ago when they decided they were really in the jewelry business.
YMMV
-bob

Last edited:

barjohn

I have yet to see those wow pictures from an X1 that would make me want to open my wallet and let the money fly out. The Ricoh GXR is more exciting and promising and I have seen better images posted, some of them actually wowed me. I am waiting to see whether Ricoh can actually execute on its promise.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I saw some prints from the X1. They were about 11 x 14 in color and looked ok but did not blow me away. I have since given up on this camera untill I can test one.
Maybe on release, the camera will prove it's worth but highly unlikely.

A saddened shooter....