The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

28 f2.8 LM and ZM

soboyle

I'm looking at picking up my first lenses for an M8. I have been looking at the Leica 28 2.8 Elmarit, and the Zeiss 28 2.8 planar.
Comes down to the qualities of these 2 lenses, and price. The Elmarit seems to be a very high contrast lens, having read Sean Reids review of the 28's gave me a nice feeling for the available 28's. I wanted to get others feedback on these 2 lenses, I'm tending toward the zeiss, because of cost, and because its not quite as contrasty, the bokeh seems less active and more to my liking. Anoter motivation is that I can get both a 28 and 50 zeiss for the same price as the leica. Thoughts?

stevem8

For an M8, the Zeiss 28 is fantastic. On the M9 is vignettes quite a bit. Also, the Zeiss 50 Sonnar and Planar are WONDERFUL! Not as well made as the Leica but IMO, just about as good in the IQ department. Just a different look. Zeiss is a tad warmer and richer and Leica is a bit more neutral.