Site Sponsors

Thread: Question for the lens gurus

Post Thanks / Like

Question for the lens gurus

I bought a used 50 cron for my M8 a few years back. It appears to be a 5th version, with removable plastic slotted hood. It says Leitz, not Leica, and was made in Canada. According to the serial number chart, it appears to be manufactured in or around 1981.

I've sold my M8 and now have an M9 on order and am trying to decide what to do about a 50, now that that focal length is more relevant. If given the finances, I'd get a new 50 Lux ASPH and be done with it, but just can't do it all at once.

I was never thrilled with it on my M8, Can't really say why, just didn't seem to have the sharpness, color or micro contrast I wanted. Mostly it just sat in the bag.

So my question is: Now that I need a good 50, a go to lens, I started to think about it again. Is this a decent lens? Is it worth sending in to get a cleaning and adjustment, possibly 6 bit coding? Or was the lackluster performance I saw with it on my M8 as good as this lens will do? Anybody have experience with one?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Question for the lens gurus

This more than a good lens, this is an excellent lens. I would use the Summilux cash for something else. A nice 28 or 90 maybe?
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

wilsonlaidlaw

Some of these Summicrons, both the version you have and the later 11826, seem to have led a hard life. I wanted to get one recently and ended up buying two poor ones, both of which went back to the seller. I thought the Leica gods must be talking to me, so I have now gone for a Zeiss 50 ZM Planar at half the cost of the Summicrons and it is spot on. Mind you, you have to like high contrast.

Wilson

Post Thanks / Like

Mine looks to be in pretty good shape, but I just don't get that leica "magic" out of it. I'm just trying to decide if it is worth sending back for a CLA and 6 bit coding. I have no idea what it would cost, but I'm sure whatever it is, it is going to be part of the way to a lens I might like better in the end. 50 is my "go to" lens, so if I can find a way. maybe I'll ebay this one and try to get a lux. We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Have the very same lens, James, in near mint condition. I don't have any problems with it on my M8.2, except the hood is tough to affix or detach quickly. IQ is good, but in the older Leitz style. I, too, would like a new 50 Lux ASPH for its higher contrast and razor sharpness, but will wait until an M9 ends up here, and that'll be after they satisfy the pent up demand and a sapphire LCD is available. I figure that I'll trade it toward the new 50 when I do the M9 deal.

Leica in NJ was charging $175.00 for 6 bit coding 7 months ago. Don Goldberg was doing coding then, also, and for considerably less money. Obviously Don can do whatever else you want at that time, too!
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass