The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Billingham L2 bag question.

photohc

Just received a new Billingham L2 (Alice) bag. I noticed that the front section of the bag is not lined on the bottom, thus the rivet for the bottom of the bag standoffs are exposed. Is this the case for your L2 or is this new bag missing something? Just seem strange for such a quality bag to have this exposed on the inside of the bag.

Godfrey

Just received a new Billingham L2 (Alice) bag. I noticed that the front section of the bag is not lined on the bottom, thus the rivet for the bottom of the bag standoffs are exposed. Is this the case for your L2 or is this new bag missing something? Just seem strange for such a quality bag to have this exposed on the inside of the bag.
It's the same on mine, had it for several years now. Another lovely bag.

I fitted a thin piece of closed cell foam (from an old ground pad) to the bottom of the front pocket, takes care of the issue.

photohc

It's the same on mine, had it for several years now. Another lovely bag.

I fitted a thin piece of closed cell foam (from an old ground pad) to the bottom of the front pocket, takes care of the issue.
Thanks for checking. I'll do the same.

gDallasK

My Black Hadley is now partly brown .....

Not happy.

The black canvas on the top of my Hadley has faded quite badly and is now nearer brown than black.

The back and sides are still near to their original colour. And, no, I don't store it on a window sill exposed to hours of sunlight every day nor has it spent lots of time exposed to the tropical sun. It lives for 95% of the time in a dark cupboard - in western Scotland.

I don't buy camera bags to make a fashion statement, I buy them as a container for my gear.

However, Billingham bags are expensive and I'm very disappointed with this one.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Re: My Black Hadley is now partly brown .....

Not happy.

The black canvas on the top of my Hadley has faded quite badly and is now nearer brown than black.

The back and sides are still near to their original colour. And, no, I don't store it on a window sill exposed to hours of sunlight every day nor has it spent lots of time exposed to the tropical sun. It lives for 95% of the time in a dark cupboard - in western Scotland.

I don't buy camera bags to make a fashion statement, I buy them as a container for my gear.

However, Billingham bags are expensive and I'm very disappointed with this one.
My black/black L2 has been in use since 2004, indoors and out, gone on several trips, etc. It's not faded significantly.

Have you contacted Billingham? My interactions with them have all been very positive.

I don't buy Billingham because it's a fashion statement either. I buy them because they have proven to be durable, useful bags that protect my gear very well. I prefer the way they look after they've gotten a bit of wear on them, frankly. ;-)

gDallasK

Re: My Black Hadley is now partly brown .....

Have you contacted Billingham? My interactions with them have all been very positive.
Thanks for the prompt. No point in feeling unhappy and doing nothing about it. I've written to Billingham and will report back in due course.

LoSenior

I'm curious why you picked the L2 over the M Combo bag. I getting resdy to buying one of these bags.
Thanks, Jerry

Godfrey

I'm curious why you picked the L2 over the M Combo bag. I getting ready to buying one of these bags.
I prefer the larger, single, open front pocket of the L2 over the zippered/smaller front pocket of the M. It makes it easier to get bits in and out of the bag and holds a little more.

Also, I think the L2's main compartment is *slightly* roomier. Since I'm using SLRs, not Leica Ms, it's a better fit.

LoSenior

I prefer the larger, single, open front pocket of the L2 over the zippered/smaller front pocket of the M. It makes it easier to get bits in and out of the bag and holds a little more.

Also, I think the L2's main compartment is *slightly* roomier. Since I'm using SLRs, not Leica Ms, it's a better fit.
Godfrey,
Thanks,I'm going to use the Billingham with an Sony A900 with the ZA 135f1.8 attached. I want a bag that I can use as a walk about set up. I tried the M Combo awhile ago and had to put the A900 on it's side to fit, it was very easy to get the camera with the lens attached out of the bag. It looks like the L2 had a firmer base and has the 4 small metal legs.
Thanks for your assistance.
Jerry

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Jerry,

If you want to use an Sony A900 with the ZA 135/1.8 ATTACHED, the interior width of L2 is not sufficient (you have to do the same way as in the Combo). The largest body that I have used in my L2, other than rangefinder body, is the Panasonic L1. Just want to caution you before you find this out too late.

Have you consider the Billingham 206? While it is a larger bag, it is far better for DSLR. I also found that the 206 hugs my body better than the L2 when I carry the bag cross my shoulder. Just my own experience.

Kind regards,

LoSenior

Jerry,

If you want to use an Sony A900 with the ZA 135/1.8 ATTACHED, the interior width of L2 is not sufficient (you have to do the same way as in the Combo). The largest body that I have used in my L2, other than rangefinder body, is the Panasonic L1. Just want to caution you before you find this out too late.

Have you consider the Billingham 206? While it is a larger bag, it is far better for DSLR. I also found that the 206 hugs my body better than the L2 when I carry the bag cross my shoulder. Just my own experience.

Kind regards,
Ocean,
Thanks for letting me know. I found that the A900 sitting on edge did move around some in the M Combo. If it does the same in the L2 I think that you are right .Time to look at a larger bag/Billingham 206 or?
Thanks, Jerry

Godfrey

... The largest body that I have used in my L2, other than rangefinder body, is the Panasonic L1. ...
The Olympus E-1 fitted with Leica 14-50/2.8-3.5 lens fits nicely, with about 2" to spare when lying sideways in the L2 bag, it's about an inch taller than the Panasonic L1 (I have both). Fit the hood on the 14-50 and it still fits.

I also used to carry the Pentax K10D in the L2, fitted with a variety of lenses but the largest was the DA*50-135/2.8. It is sized similarly to the E-1 and fits similarly.

I don't know how these two relate to the Sony A900, however, although I think they're roughly comparable.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
The Olympus E-1 fitted with Leica 14-50/2.8-3.5 lens fits nicely, with about 2" to spare when lying sideways in the L2 bag, it's about an inch taller than the Panasonic L1 (I have both). Fit the hood on the 14-50 and it still fits.

I also used to carry the Pentax K10D in the L2, fitted with a variety of lenses but the largest was the DA*50-135/2.8. It is sized similarly to the E-1 and fits similarly.

I don't know how these two relate to the Sony A900, however, although I think they're roughly comparable.
Well, my Olympus E3 doesn't really fit well in the L2. The height of the E3 is 116 mm (Olympus E-1, 104 mm, and Panasonic L1, 86 mm). I believe the height of Sony A900 is even higher still at 117 mm.

Godfrey

Well, my Olympus E3 doesn't really fit well in the L2. The height of the E3 is 116 mm (Olympus E-1, 104 mm, and Panasonic L1, 86 mm). I believe the height of Sony A900 is even higher still at 117 mm.
LOL ... I doubt that 1mm makes any difference at all. 12mm ... hmm, well that might but it is a soft sided bag, it will conform but it might slide a little tight.

gDallasK

Faded Hadley - Report Back

I'm very pleased to say that Billingham have replaced the bag free of charge. It's great to see a manufacturer standing by their product.

Geoff