The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

yet another camera bag question

soboyle

Looking for suggestions for a very compact bag for a M8 plus 2 lenses. The emphasis is on compact, small, light, inconspicuous. This will be a bag I use to carry my M while it is in my day pack, or bouncing on the car seat, or over my shoulder walking to a location. While shooting I will have my camera out, so the bag will only have the 2 lenses in it and wants to be unobtrusive. I'm not interested in a designer bag, or ultra-expensive bag, but a functional bag that protects the camera and lenses without being a foam box.

S

simonpg

Shaun, having tried many bags and spefically sought what you are seeking, I suggest you have a look at the Billingham Hadley series.

These are satchel style shoulderbags and the smallest (Hadley Pro) is very compact but not like a ladies handbag and PERFECT for a body with lens and 2 lenses all perfectly seperated and protected by top grade adjustable dividers. On the outside are 2 pockets with heaps of room for things like cards, battery, and filters we all end up needing to cart around.

One GREAT feature is that the PRO has a handle at the top so can be cattied as a satchel or a shoulderbag.

Then there is the fact that these are beautifully made top grade canvas with leather edging , brass fittings and oooooze quality - hand made English craftsmanship dating back to when they just made canvas fishing tackle bags!! :) So they are pricey although a lifetime purchase.

I use a tan version for my XPan kit and Leica M kits and have had it for about 5 years.

Here is a URL to the Hadley Pro: http://cameraexchange.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=22&product_id=71

kalex

If you don't mind the unpadded version take a look at Bare Bones Bag. I have the BBB2 bag and love it. its a very slim profile and its actually bag inside a bag. internal pockets are sewn into the outside shell and they are suspended. the only padding is the hard plastic on the bottom of the bag. everything else is unpadded. I used it with my Epson R-D1 and 3 lenses and never had a problem with it.

soboyle

The bare bones bag is looking like a contender, I like that it doesn't look like a camera bag at all, and seems very functional. Will look into it more. The other bag I am looking at is the Domke F-5XA bag, small, and cheaper than the bare bones.
The other bags mentioned here look great as well, but are more than I want to spend at this point for a bag. Maybe when I start to accumulate the Leica glass ;-)

Last edited:
F

f1,4

Domke bags are IMHO the ones that look less like photobags.
Yet, they protect the gear without being too thick and they look even better with time.
So, I just bought a Domke F-5XB to carry M8 with 3 lenses and few accessories.

gDallasK

I have a number of bags but, for an M9 and two lenses, I favour my black Hadley Digital. And if none of the lenses are of Noctilux proportions it will comforatbly take the camera with one lens attached and two other lenses.

oc garza

I really like the BBB2. Right size, carries a 4-lens kit if needed. It is made by Courierware to specs from BBB. No velcro comes standard on this model but it has a cross strap for tucking the flap under for carrying or working out of. Has a small but perfectly functional handle that drops out of the way when not in use.

My wife added a velcro strap to the bottom that I can unhook, and hook over the flap for extra protection when traveling through airports or if I need to pick it up by the handle and run :rolleyes:
It has two pockets in the front for batteries, cards, etc, plus a rear pocket as wide as the bag that is closed by velcro, with enough room for plane tickets, a book, or notepads with a pen.

(Sorry about the distracting tablecloth)

The one thing I am sure about is there IS just the right bag out there for each of us. We just have to buy two dozen before we find it.

Last edited:

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
If the emphasis is on compact, small, light, inconspicuous, I would highly recommend the Domke F-5XB. I've used it on business trips with Leica M body plus three lenses.

Kind regards,

I really like the BBB2. Right size, carries a 4-lens kit if needed.....
I´ve been interested in this bag, too. Thanks a lot for the pics; they tell me a lot more than Stephen´s web site (which is quite good!).

Just a question: would a Leica M with a small lens (say, a Summicron 35 or even 50) go comfortably into one of the smaller inside pockets, or would it have to go in the center like you show it?

I ask because a common situation for me is, I walk about shooting in a city; suddenly I find, and buy, some book or magazine that I have to get home with relatively undamaged. That center space would work well, but not if the camera itself must go there, too, once I pack up. And the rear pocket is open on top; a shower would ruin a book kept there, wouldn´t it?

oc garza

I´ve been interested in this bag, too. Thanks a lot for the pics; they tell me a lot more than Stephen´s web site (which is quite good!).

Just a question: would a Leica M with a small lens (say, a Summicron 35 or even 50) go comfortably into one of the smaller inside pockets, or would it have to go in the center like you show it?

I ask because a common situation for me is, I walk about shooting in a city; suddenly I find, and buy, some book or magazine that I have to get home with relatively undamaged. That center space would work well, but not if the camera itself must go there, too, once I pack up. And the rear pocket is open on top; a shower would ruin a book kept there, wouldn´t it?
I just put the M8 with a 50 lux (pre-Asph if that makes a difference) in one of the front pouches on its side. So that works with no problem. I am sure a paperback will fit in the middle, probably a normal sized book too. I'll try it at home this evening and post a photo if you'd like.

On the back pocket, it is secured by a velcro strip in the middle and so in theory there are openings where water could get in. A few days ago I was shooting and it started raining hard which later turned to snow. The small notepads in the first photo are kept in this back pocket and they didn't get wet at all, but then that side of the bag was against my body so there was no real way for water to get in there. I've had Domkes, Tenbas and even some old Orvis bags and to date this bag works best for me and my Leica gear. I have ordered the Domke US Postal carrier shoulder pad for the bag because even large pad made by BBB does not secure it to my shoulder to my liking.

jonoslack

HI There
Being a bag whore of the very worst kind, I've tried lots of different bags. I've been using a Fogg B-Laika for the past year now, it's very small (much smaller than the Hadley pro), but it'll still easily carry a body with a lens, and 3 other lenses. Alternatively it'll carry two bodies with lenses, and 2 extra lenses. It will even take an M8 with both the WATE and a frankenfinder attached (just).

all the best

Reynolds

Workshop Member
I've been using the Domke F-3X Super Compact Bag. Holds the M9, three lenses, flash, mini tripod, cleaning supplies, a D Lux-4, cards, batteries...the works! Great bag all around!!