The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

To code or not to code! But what setting to use?

S

simonpg

I suppose there are many varied opinions about the benefits of coding Leica M lenses that are not fitted with the 6 bit coding.

Just starting to play with and test my M8, I cannot see any issue when using the following lenses all fitted with the UV/IR Cut filter: 'Cron-M 35 ASPH; 'Cron-M 50; Elmarit-M 90 - all the images seem fine (even my Canon LTM 50mm f1.2!). I just use the camera menu setting that includes reference to using the UV/IR Cut filter.

BUT then there is the user setting option in the camera's menu - 3 options.

So, having un-coded lenses and using the UV/IR cut filter, what does experience suggest is the best setting to use on the body?

Thanks for your time and sharing your experiences,
Regards,
Simon.

ampguy

My experience has been to not code 28 and longer on the M8.

I do have UV/IR filters, but only use them when needed.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you don't have any coded lenses then the mode setting on the camera doesn't matter. Otherwise, just set it to auto detect and if your lenses are coded it'll apply in camera correction. If not, it won't.

S

simonpg

Thanks to you both.

Yes, for now I will not bother with coding - although I do smile occasionally when I see the meat-data showing the f-stop used - and it's correct!! If its benefits seem apparent, then I will bother.

I too have ceased using the IR Cut filters - after testing the lenses with and without them, I'll only put them on if the circumstances clearly warrant it.

I learnt early when I bought my 35mm Summicron-M ASPH - NEVER add filters unless its necessary and then watch out for flare!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
With the M8 I used UV/IR filters on all lenses because it did clean up colours like greens/foliage in addition to the well documented magenta issue with synthetic materials. I found that 35mm and over didn't really need coding (although I did) but wider lenses definitely benefited from the identification and in-camera correction of filter effects.

One of the biggest pains though was with occasional flare/filter & front element reflections in certain lighting corrections that would leave red flare spots that couldn't be effectively removed in post processing. The only way around that was to recognize when it was likely to occur (night & bright spot lighting) and remove the filter - a hassle to be sure.

With the M9 the coding is still useful for vignette correction & EXIF but at least the UV/IR filters are effectively a thing of the past, although in theory for some rare situations they are still helpful. I can live without them completely.