The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If you only have one lens for your M9, which would it be?

tom in mpls

I've been seeing so much now about the M9 and learning about rangefinders...not necessarily a good thing for me, because I'm catching the M9 bug. If I take the plunge, I like the idea of picking one good lens; when using DSLR's I have always used a single lens for 95% of my shooting, and I prefer 24-70mm, or a bit longer. Obviously the zooms give a lot of flexibiloity. I like the 24 at the wide end. However, with the M9 I would expect to be choosing a prime. I would love to have a very high quality, fast lens 2.0 or faster. Opinions from those with experience using FF Leicas (digital or film) are sought.

So my question, "If you could have only one lens for your M9, which would you choose?" Would you choose the traditional 50mm "normal" lens, or go for a different focal length?

Also, what is the benefit from using newer "6-Bit, Updated for Digital" versions?

Last edited:

Lloyd

That's a hard question to answer, as it varies according to "taste" (shooting styles, subjects, etc.). I supposed if I could only have one lens for "Full Frame", it would probably be a 50mm, and most likely the 50 Summilux ASPH. I go this way, as it is so versatile... fine (albeit a little "clinical" for some tastes) for portraiture, acceptable for street subjects, etc., just a great all-rounder. Second choice for the "one lens only", I probably go with a 35mm, and although many would probably choose the 35 Summilux ASPH, I'd probably go for the 35 Summicron ASPH. Same reasons as the 50 in terms of versatility.

Truth is, however, I'd be pressed by this one lens limitation, as I love my other focal lengths, and on Full Frame I especially love my 28 Cron on the wide end, and my 90s on the long end.

YMMV. Good luck.

charlesphoto

35mm cron or lux hands down. A bit wide but not so wide on can't make a portrait with it. My lux asph is living on my M9 despite having 6 other lenses. I have a 35 cron asph on the way as well. 6 bit is a necessity for anything 35 or wider. Of course if you want you can manually enter it or use cornerfix software. I couldn't be bothered.

jklotz

Saying you'll only have one lens for a Leica is like saying I'm only going to eat at one restaurant. Careful my friend, it's a slippery slope...

The 6 bit code triggers internal vignette and color cast corrections that can be applied to the raw or jpeg files within the camera. The corrections are needed more on the wide lenses than the standard or telephoto ones, but can still be beneficial at those focal lengths. A side benifit to having coded lenses is that it tells you in the exif data which lens was used.

Hope this helps.

Lloyd

If you get an M9 from a local dealer, I ask to try out a couple of focal lengths on the camera. Start with what you think you'd like, and then try some others. It will most likely make you lust after more glass, but you can probably find "the one" to start with at least.

James is correct, it is a slippery slope. I've been shooting Leica since 1968, and have had way too much glass over the years. Even now that I've pared down the collection, I still own 5 50mm lenses, and have had 4 35mm lenses just this year, although I only have two at the moment. The hunger is seldom satisfied.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Not so tough really 50 or 35, 'cron or 'lux depending upon budget.

With the M9 I could even stick with just my noctilux but that's only because I have m4/3rds & FF Dslr outfits to complement it.

bradhusick

That's a hard question to answer, as it varies according to "taste" (shooting styles, subjects, etc.). I supposed if I could only have one lens for "Full Frame", it would probably be a 50mm, and most likely the 50 Summilux ASPH. I go this way, as it is so versatile... fine (albeit a little "clinical" for some tastes) for portraiture, acceptable for street subjects, etc., just a great all-rounder. Second choice for the "one lens only", I probably go with a 35mm, and although many would probably choose the 35 Summilux ASPH, I'd probably go for the 35 Summicron ASPH. Same reasons as the 50 in terms of versatility.

Truth is, however, I'd be pressed by this one lens limitation, as I love my other focal lengths, and on Full Frame I especially love my 28 Cron on the wide end, and my 90s on the long end.

YMMV. Good luck.
+1 for this. 50 lux asph or 35 cron. For less money, don't rule out the 75 f/2.5, it's great for portraits.

2x2

50mm/f1.4 Summilux ASPH

The other option to consider would be the new 24mm/f1.4 Summilux ASPH.
Haven't used it yet but it's supposed to be excellent.
If you can, buy both. ;)

PS: The Noctilux is a fab lens. People who don't have it, want it badly. And the ones who have it, treat it like it has only one aperture setting. D'uh.

I have both, the 50mm/f1.4 Summilux ASPH and the Noctilux 50/f1. Either one is great but I prefer the Summilux.
What I've seen from the new Nocti doesn't turn me on whatsoever. To me it's more like a Nocti that wants to be a Summilux. Save yourself $7000 and get the Lux.

D

disambiguated

I've been seeing so much now about the M9 However, with the M9 I would expect to be choosing a prime.
Given that there are no zooms available for Leica, yes, you will be choosing a prime.

;>

So my question, "If you could have only one lens for your M9, which would you choose?" Would you choose the traditional 50mm "normal" lens, or go for a different focal length?
I would continue saving my money until I could buy more than one lens; I'd also be aware that there's a brisk trade in high-quality used Leica lenses, and so it's possible to get a good lens for far less than quoted retail.

Also, what is the benefit from using newer "6-Bit, Updated for Digital" versions?
A bunch of corrections for vignetting, color, etc. With the M9, you can input the lens type manually; I recommend Match Technical's Coder Kit, which allows you to code any non-coded lenses, yourself.

I've successfully coded the CV 50mm f/1.1 as a Leica 50mm F/1, the 35mm pre-ASPH IV f/2, and the 90mm ASPH f/2; the 28mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/2 ASPH were coded from the factory.

D

disambiguated

50mm/f1.4 Summilux ASPH

PS: The Noctilux is a fab lens. People who don't have it, want it badly. And the ones who have it, treat it like it has only one aperture setting. D'uh.
The CV 50mm f/1.1, at $1100USD retail, is a far better deal, IMHO.

2x2

The CV 50mm f/1.1, at $1100USD retail, is a far better deal, IMHO.
Indeed, it is a far better deal. The question, though, is whether it's the better lens?
Guess, only your wife, your wallet, and maybe you can decide that.

2x2

I've successfully coded the CV 50mm f/1.1 as a Leica 50mm F/1, the 35mm pre-ASPH IV f/2, and the 90mm ASPH f/2; the 28mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/2 ASPH were coded from the factory.
Good for you. I did the same with a 21/f2.8 Elmarit.
One thing keep in mind, though. Some 'older' lenses need to be adjusted to work properly on a digital body.
So, before you start playing with a marker, take a couple shots and check the results on your computer for back or front focus issues.
If everything is sharp where it's supposed to be, marker away. Otherwise send it off to Solms and get the coding done at the same time.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
That's very true actually. I have a complementary 50 'cron for more general use and I'm pretty sure I'll end up with another 50 'lux when some of the 'lux buying frenzy has cooled a bit.

I'd agree with the others here - 35 'cron or 50 'lux depending on which floats your boat focal length-wise & the depth of your pocket too.

Paratom

like others here I would not want to limit myself for one lens in a long term.
If I had to it would be probably a 35mm lens.
In this case I would either wait for the "new" 35 Summilux which is expected next year, or I would buy the 35 Summarit which I use now and love it.

If you like a little more compressed look it would be 50 instead of 35. In this case I love the 50/1.4asph for everything it does and this would be the lens if you decide for 50mm focal length.

if I had to go for 2 lenses it would be more difficult to choose which, depending what look you like. it could be 35 and 75, or 28 and 50, or 24 and 50 for my taste.

If your limitation for one lens is based on financial thoughts than I would rather buy a M8 and get 2 or 3 lenses than a M9 with just 1 lens.

And I would rather get a 35 and 75 Summarit than just one expensive Summilux - if money is the deciding factor.

If it is more the wish for simplicity than you cant go wrong with either 35 or 50, and if you feel limited after some month you can allways add another focal length later on.

If I compare the Summarits to the Luxes, my believe that the Summarits are just as nice in rendering, fully usable wide open at f2.5. So forme more a question of need for speed (or not).

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
M 50 Summilux ASPH

No matter how many lenses I have in my kit, this one spends the most time on my M9.

tom in mpls

M 50 Summilux ASPH

No matter how many lenses I have in my kit, this one spends the most time on my M9.
Mike, this is exactly what I mean. Although this "thought experiment" requires the choice of only one lens, I would expect to eventually have several lenses. Yet I would also bet that one lens would be my favorite and do the great majority of the work. And I want to try to anticipate which one so it could be my first purchase.

jklotz

If your limitation for one lens is based on financial thoughts than I would rather buy a M8 and get 2 or 3 lenses than a M9 with just 1 lens.
If you consider the fact that the lenses will hold much of their value over time, and the camera will most certainly not, this is not a bad option. Especially if you take into account the anticipated price increase of the lenses Jan 1. Sooner or later, the feeding frenzy for the M9 will have subsided, and they will be more obtainable. Just a thought

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Since you have not used a rangefinder and don't know if it will suit you, why not buy a M8 classic and a 35mm cron ASPH (or summarit). The crop factor on the M8 is 1.3x, so the 35 will have a similar FOV to a 50 on the M9. If it turns out that rangefinders are not your thing, you will lose little on resale. If you love it, then you can move up to M9 and buy a 50mm lux ASPH at that time.

tom in mpls

Given that there are no zooms available for Leica, yes, you will be choosing a prime.

;>
Nobody has mentioned Tri-Elmar. Not a zoom, of course, but multiple focal lengths with one lens. Thus far nobody has advised this choice.

This holiday season I will be splitting my time between choosing my lenses and planning which 6 banks to rob. That's a joke. Actually, I'm planning a trip overseas to sell a kidney. I think Leica lenses are the reason God gave us two of them.:LOL:

Since you have not used a rangefinder and don't know if it will suit you, why not buy a M8 classic and a 35mm cron ASPH (or summarit). The crop factor on the M8 is 1.3x, so the 35 will have a similar FOV to a 50 on the M9. If it turns out that rangefinders are not your thing, you will lose little on resale. If you love it, then you can move up to M9 and buy a 50mm lux ASPH at that time.
Intelligent and prudent idea, Cindy. Ah, but am I ever prudent?