The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cold weather shooting M8

soboyle

I was hiking this past weekend, temp was about mid 20's F (-4 C), and my M8 stopped working after about 45 minutes. Battery was showing full charge, took a shot, and everything went blank.
Later, once the camera warmed up, everything worked fine again, battery still showing a full charge.
Any similar experiences?
A bit dissapointing since I missed a lot of good shots on this hike because of the camera quitting.

TimWright

Yup, keep it inside your coat or in camera bag or pocket with a hand warmer. The batteries are definitely not going to last as long but I have spent quite a few winter days with 3 batteries.

soboyle

Which leads me to a battery question, are there any aftermarket batteries worth considering for the M8, or should I plunk down for the Leica battery?
Thanks.

TimWright

I have heard mixed reviews. I bought some aftermarket batteries for my Canon gear, some were great the others useless. I now use an M9 and I figure that after the cost of the camera and lenses the battery price is kind of trivial. I would research the aftermarket ones and only get ones where there have been no negative comments.

D

drxcm

I would guess having a metal body is disadvantageous for cold weather work, keeps the camera colder for longer...

leif e

But -4 C is shocking:wtf:
I´ll be without a camera from now till the end of March! :deadhorse:
Where´s that TriX?:D

leif e

akiralx

I can confirm that the M8 batteries perform fine in high temperatures (38C today in Melbourne)...