The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Firmware trouble

leif e

I´ve been trying to upgrade the firmware of my M8 - to the latest version (2.004). The current version is 1.102.

I´m quite confident that I´m following Leica´s instructions, but I keep getting the message "Attention! Upgrade failed". I´ve tried several times.

What I´m thinking now: Is it possible that my current version is too old for the camera to be able to handle the upgrade? Am I skipping too many upgrades?

Or is it something else?:confused:

leif e

tom in mpls

I don't know what the problem is, but I would expect firmware could be updated from any previous version. Have you tried deleting the file, and starting with a fresh download? Maybe the file got corrupted.

The upgrade is certainly possible starting from any installed FW version.
May something wrong happened while downloading the FW, so I suggest you to download it again possibly on a different SD card freshly formatted inside the camera. Since the installed FW is 1.102 you cannot use a SDHC card but you have to use a plain SD.
Cheers,
Ario

leif e

Thanks all!
The card I´m using is a San Disc Extreme III. I downloaded several times and formatted each time I tried.

The battery was charged, but maybe not 100 %. I´ll try again - and with another card.

leif e

scott kirkpatrick

If your Extreme III is 4 GB or more, it is certainly an SDHC. For the jump to 2.xxx firmware, hyou will need to find an SD card that the older firmware can read correctly. Look for a 1GB card from a good family...

scott

leif e

Reynolds, this is the only possibility left. I´ll charge over night and see what happens then. Thanks all!
leif e

beamon

If your Extreme III is 4 GB or more, it is certainly an SDHC. For the jump to 2.xxx firmware, hyou will need to find an SD card that the older firmware can read correctly. Look for a 1GB card from a good family...

scott
Hi Leif,

I haven't read that you have yet followed Scott's advice, above. It is imperative that you use a plain SD card rather than a SDHC card. My guess is that your problem lies strictly with the card.

Once into the Version 2xxx firmware, SDHC cards will handle further updates, if any are offered. :)

leif e

Thanks Roger!
The cards I have tried are all SD-cards 2GB and 1GB. One 2 gig is San Disk Extreme III, the other Ultra II.
The only possibility left is that the battery was not 100% charged.
leif e