The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New list prices for Leica M lenses

Christopher

Just amazing, that you can get some great prices in other countries, just bought a Summarit-M 90mm f/2.5 here in Hong Kong, payed around 1100 US for it. Oh and yes it is original, with international warranty and everything.

iiiNelson

Well, we have only ourselves to blame :D

Leica tried producing some 'reasonably' priced lenses (the Summarits). Everybody agrees they are excellent quality, but even so, Leica have said that they sell more copies of the expensive 'lux' lenses. I wonder whether the shortage of the 50 'lux isn't because they have a limited capacity for making aspherical elements, and it's more profitable to put 'em in the nocti.
I think the problem Leica has with the Summarits is that the "reasonably priced" line is still more expensive than most of the expensive stuff from the other guys. For the average person a ZM lenses gives just as good if not better real world performance so unless the red dot or having matching lenses to your camera is of utmost importance it's hard to justify spending extra in a worldwide economic downturn... unless photography is your livelihood.

The only real way for Leica to lower prices in the future is to have direct competition so unless Zeiss makes a Digital Ikon or Voigtlander makes a Digital Bessa I expect prices to rise higher in the future.