The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

KRs Steve Dent Levels Curve

S

sebasco

Am wondering first if anyone here has downloaded the Steve Dent levels curve for the Leica M9 files in KRs website and, if so, how it works.

Additionally, how does one use the psd file once it is downloaded. KR doesn't tell us why and I am flummoxed about how to do it.

Hope this is not too stupid a question.

Thx,

tom in mpls

I hadn't heard of this item, but I found it on the first page here:

Ken Rockwell

I don't know how to use it, either, but is there a need for it? Is Ken the only one who doesn't like M9 colors, or is this a common problem?

Color rendition is mainly a matter of choosing the most appropriate profile during the raw file conversion, which is not always the one provided as default.
Usually every raw converter has several options in this respect and furthermore it is always possible, and not so difficult, to create additional, taylor made, profiles.
If you use ACR or LR it will be very easy to do it either with the Adobe DNG Profile Editor or with the X-Rite Color Checker.
Cheers,
Ario

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I prefer to cook my own soup, and never liked the taste of Ken Rockwell anyway. Each image has its own needs, a preset recipe does not help.

oc garza

I prefer to cook my own soup, and never liked the taste of Ken Rockwell anyway. Each image has its own needs, a preset recipe does not help.
I have the same processing philisophy but have put together some "broad" profiles that help save some time. Using CS4, I have three (perhaps 4?) custom profiles for the M8 depending on the lighting conditions/ISO and a similar number if I intend to convert them to b/w. For example, my wife is a music professor at The Victoria College and conducts the Civic Chorus. Since she sleeps with me I take all the photographs she needs :D I have a profile for the lighting used in the Fine Arts Auditorium on campus and the church where other concerts are held. They are lighting nightmares with mixed bulbs and spotlights. BUT, all the profiles do is put me in the ball park, then each image is tweaked until I'm happy.

"And if the photographer ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" :ROTFL:

S

stevedent

Just open the .PSD file in the link; the curves are an adjustment layer. (On the bottom right, all the layers are visible.) Then, open the photo you want to change, and drag the adjustment layer from the Rockwell file over to your photo (drop it right on the image), and it will be applied. It's helpful to have your photo and the rockwell .psd side by side.

If you find, for example, the blacks to dark, you can tweak the curves. There are 4 curves, RGB, R, G and B. Just make sure the RGB curve is selected, then move the bottom left control point a little up, and it will lighten the shadows.

It was designed to give a more Velvia look, but it can be a starting point for more tweaking.

tom in mpls

Just open the .PSD file in the link; the curves are an adjustment layer. (On the bottom right, all the layers are visible.) Then, open the photo you want to change, and drag the adjustment layer from the Rockwell file over to your photo (drop it right on the image), and it will be applied. It's helpful to have your photo and the rockwell .psd side by side.

If you find, for example, the blacks to dark, you can tweak the curves. There are 4 curves, RGB, R, G and B. Just make sure the RGB curve is selected, then move the bottom left control point a little up, and it will lighten the shadows.

It was designed to give a more Velvia look, but it can be a starting point for more tweaking.
Welcome to the forum, Steve. I see this is your first post. Thanks for taking the time to prepare and share your photoshop work with us. Does your file adjust colors, or only curves? This is still a new concept to me.

S

stevedent

Thanks, it's a pleasure. I'm a film/video colorist, and originally did the tweaks on dedicated color grading software. I found I was able to obtain a similar result in Photoshop with the curves.

These curves also shift the mid-tones of the image a little more to the blue side, as I found the images a little yellow-shifted. It seemed to work well on landscapes that had lots of greens & fall colours, bringing out the reds more that may have washed into green.

S

stevedent

You can select the blue curve to see what I mean. At the top, where it says "RGB", just hit the drop-down and hit "B", then you can see the control points on the blue curve in the mid-tones.

K

kngkc

Hi Steve, I've just received my M9 and I am very keen to try out your curve file. I am new to PS and am wondering if your file is compatible with PS CS4, Mac version. I loaded up the PS program and downloaded your file from Ken's site and double clicked your curve file but received the following error message from PS "Some text layers contain fonts that are missing. These layers will need to have the missing fonts replaced before they can be used for vector based output." Sorry, don't mean to use you as a helpdesk on PS but be great if you can't point me to the right direction. Thanks Kim.

Y

yuetk

Hi...How do I download the profile curve. I mean where is the profile located? thank you.

Thomas