The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1 Full Review posted at DPReview

rmueller

Hi Terry,

Thanks for posting this.

In fact, this beast is the first Leica that really attracts me and hopefully
will soon complement my MF combo which i typically don't carry with
me all day.

Have a good weekend
Ralf.

retow

A compelling argument for the E-P1, E-P2, and GF1.
I would say it is and is not. Their simple equation of the X1's superior high iso performance plus slower lens does not beat faster lens plus inferior iso performance of mft is not always true. If high iso is needed to keep shutter speed up whilst maintaining a min dof at the same time, the X1 wins.

monza

Of course, ISO performance is only one factor. There are many others that make those three cameras compelling vs. the X1, even leaving price out of the equation.

Robert Campbell

This review confirms, for me, that optical and mechannical engineering are Leica's strengths; electronics are its weakness.

tom in mpls

I love the rating system at dpreview. There are only 2 possible ratings: Highly recommend (meaning they liked it), and Recommended (which means they didn't like it). This camera carries their kiss of death, the dreaded "Recommended".

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting to compare the X1's lens at f/2.8 to the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 at 2.0.
The 20 1.7 looks like a better lens at f/2 then the leica at f/2.8
OTOH, at f/8 the leica wins by just a bit.
-bob

Last edited:

bradhusick

My take-away from this well done review (thanks for including RAW files to download) is that the GF-1 is every bit as good in most areas, superior in some, and half the price of the X1. Surprising, since I really wanted the X1 to be a clear winner.

barjohn

The Panasonic lens beat the Leica at all f stops except f1.7. When both lenses are set to the optimum setting (f5.6 for the Panny and f8.0 for the Leica) the Panny has better MTF at the center and equal at the edge and better CA throughout. Remember the Panny is a $400 lens!

Terry

John,
Don't forget the GF1 corrects for CA in the RAW file and the EP-1 doesn't so you can see the lens CA on the Oly lens test.
Here are the lenses compared and you can see the CA of the two.
I'm also not quite sure of your statement of the Panny lens MTF at the center...

24 elmarit on X1 vs. Panny 20mm on the Oly body

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews...izontal&&config=LensReviewConfiguration.xml?2

24 elmarit on X1 vs. Panny 20mm on the G1 body

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews...izontal&&config=LensReviewConfiguration.xml?2

I like DPR and they do a good job with their reviews. However, I am careful to sort through "any" review and figure out which bits are important to me. I knew I would buy an X1 as soon as I saw the 20"x30" prints from the X1 at PhotoPlus. I have been waiting a long time for a small pocketable camera with that kind of image quality.

I admit I am concerned about the reported sluggish performance of the X1 autofocus, startup/shutdown time, and shot-to-shot times. However, for me the small size and image quality is the main attraction. The only way to know if the sluggish performance is a problem for my intended use is to buy and use the camera for a while. I am hopeful that Leica will continue to improve the X1 with future firmware updates just as they did the M8. The other ray of hope for the X1 (and S2 for that matter) is the release of optimized camera profiles for the raw converters.

barjohn

Teryy, I was going by the lens review on DPR for the Panasonic lens and their review of the X1 lens on the X1 review. You can play with the f stop and see the MTF and CA for the lenses. Both the Leica and the GF1 do in camera correction in JPGs.

Terry

Teryy, I was going by the lens review on DPR for the Panasonic lens and their review of the X1 lens on the X1 review. You can play with the f stop and see the MTF and CA for the lenses. Both the Leica and the GF1 do in camera correction in JPGs.
Look at the links I posted. Those are the same lens reviews. You simply have the Leica lens on the left and the Panny 20mm on the right. The 20mm information is displayed twice. Once on the G1 and the Other time on the E-P1.

Amin

Although the Lumix 20 helps even the score for low light handheld photography, I suspect that the X1 will have better overall image quality at base ISO than any of the Micro 4/3 cameras. Better DR, tonal range, etc, when light isn't limited. That's not an easy thing to show in a review, but I'd assume it's the case based on my experience with a Nikon D5000 (very similar, if not the same, sensor as the X1) and various Micro Four Thirds cameras.

With that sensor in a small camera, I think the X1 will have its fans just as the Sigma DP2 has its fans.

K

kmanphoto

John,
Don't forget the GF1 corrects for CA in the RAW file and the EP-1 doesn't so you can see the lens CA on the Oly lens test.
I'm also not quite sure of your statement of the Panny lens MTF at the center...

help me out here folks ---- i clicked on these links -- am i correct to interpret the results that the 20mm panasonic on either the ep-1 or the gf is better than the x1 28mm???

thanks
kman

Terry

help me out here folks ---- i clicked on these links -- am i correct to interpret the results that the 20mm panasonic on either the ep-1 or the gf is better than the x1 28mm???

thanks
kman
at the bottom of the page you can move the f stop to show the MTF as you stop down. You need to compare them at the various apertures....

K

kmanphoto

John,

at the bottom of the page you can move the f stop to show the MTF as you stop down. You need to compare them at the various apertures....
ok i just looked at the results --- am i wrong or is the 20mm panasonic better than the x1's 28mm ? I really have never paid much attention to these types of charts before so please bear with me.

thank you
kman