Site Sponsors

Thread: Older Summilux 50 1.4 IQ

Post Thanks / Like

Older Summilux 50 1.4 IQ

What kind of image quality can I expect from an older 50 1.4 pre-asph summilux, compaired to the new asph versions? I've been looking for an affordable 50, tried a couple Zeiss 50's, and for various reasons they went back. I see some Summilux for under $1k well used, shooter lenses, I'm wondering how I might expect them to perform on the M8.
    Anyone have one they want to part with?
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Older Summilux 50 1.4 IQ

The pre-asph 50 summilux is a wonderful portrait lens, especially on an M8 (65mm effective focal length). It has the traditional "leica glow" wide open (pleasing softness), and gets very sharp by f4. At f5.6 and f8, I can't distinguish the images from the current ASPH version. At wide apertures, the ASPH is sharper and more contrasty, but not necessarily as pleasing for portraits.

The look of the 50 pre-asph Lux is similar to the look of the Canon 85 f1.2 L lens when shot wide-open. If you like that look, grab this lens.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup. What he said.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Mike s assessment. However if you move toward an M9 ..you will begin to appreciate the higher performance of the asph version. This is simply because you can see more of the absolute lens performance in the larger file.

Post Thanks / Like

The 50 pre-asp is like what Mike said...

However... you will eventually come face 2 face with the issue "I Should have bought..." and end up with pre-asph, asph, cron and some of us Nocti.... but not forgetting the extra sharp 2.5 & 2.8 All have a different signature and footprint and all have something you like and nothing you dislike (Other the echo from your wallet). You can not go wrong with any of them. So... if you see one that is clean and the price is right... get it. You will regret it if you don't.

Good luck... Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

with a good example (I've tested a CLA'd 1966, and use a current E46 pre asph), the center area is very sharp even wide open. Can't tell that the asph is any sharper in the centers. I don't have glow on my samples (veiling flare) but I can imagine that some variance will exist with the V2 pre-asph with it's 45+ year production run.
    My Photography Blog here

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

As others have said..however..

It has a tendency to flare and the chromatic aberrations are very obvious.
    Yes I have it, and the lux asph and the sonnar. All three lovely lenses in their
    own way.

Best.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one and found it difficult to focus at f1.4 consistently. Shot it side-by-side with my CV Nokton 50/1.5 and decided to keep the Nokton and sell the Lux. Could be I had a bad one, or a lack of patience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    As others have said..however..

It has a tendency to flare and the chromatic aberrations are very obvious.
    Yes I have it, and the lux asph and the sonnar. All three lovely lenses in their
    own way.

Best.
    That's funny, it has a reputation as having outstanding flare control. Are you sure that the flare you are seeing isn't from the IR filter? I have found the IR filters to be at the heart of most of the flare I saw while using the M8.

I have both the 50/1.4 pre-asph and asph -- I agree with Mike. the Pre asph is softer through most of the wider end of the range, but it is still a great lens, and very sharp stopped down. At the current price of the 50/1.4 ASPH, I would definitely recommend the pre-asph for most shooting, particularly on the M8.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook