The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LCD screen protector

Bob Parsons

I'm the same as Bébèrt and use the ACMAXX screens on an M8 and M9 without any problems. There's a small gap between the back of the protector and the camera screen so if you knock the protector hard it flexes slightly and doesn't damage the camera screen.
The only thing to remember with any screen of this type which has a peripheral adhesive band is how to remove it if need be. I'd suggest not trying to pull it off, you're likely to pull off the M8/9 screen with the ACMAXX attached. ACMAXX give removal instructions here but instead of pulling it's better to work a taught piece of thread or dental floss between the two screens to separate them. In that way you avoid applying a pulling force to the camera screen. The disadvantage of this method is it ruins the adhesive band on the ACMAXX so it's not reusable.

Bob.

tom in mpls

I'm looking at this glass screen protector. I think it is GGS glass with a different name? With this protector, too, I have read posts about the Leica LCD screen coming off when you try to remove it.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Tom I used the Giotto protector you mention on my original M8 s. I found it an exception product especially if you use it with a Luigi case with the open back. It is exceptionally clear and its really easy to clean with a micro cleaning cloth. Similar to my comments about the filters ...you can quickly clean the screen without worrying that you might scratch something. I used these on two bodies and the were good until I sold the M8 s.

Two issues to be aware of:

(1) get the right size..many of the websites specify a size that works but is not best ...so you should measure and compare. Then you have to apply the screen perfectly...no second chances. If you leave an edge ..it will crack and some people had difficulties with the edge of the screen catching on things. The Luigi case protects the edges so together they work well.

(2) The other issue is they don t come off without some modest heating. You use a hairdryer to just warm the glass....unfortunately this often loosen the actual screen and it comes off in your hand . Its not all that hard to reattach the screen but its unsettling.

Right now I am using the Screen Patronus which is the old style thin film version. Its safe and works nicely but falls off after a while. I will probably go back to the Giotto s .

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Another vote for the Giottos. Very nice optical glass. One of them gave its life to protect my M8 --- and I now have another on my M9. Expensive but good. I tried the GGS and the Giottos is better -- less reflective (More coating).

And I had no trouble getting it off. Hair drier and a little bit of patience.

S

simonpg

Just having got an M8, I took a similar route which I took with my Canon. I bought the Belkin "generic" screen protection film, like they make for iPhones etc..

This version comes in large square sized with grid measurements on the back to make cutting to size easy.

Then you just apply the fine film to the screen. If you've never aplied this ultra-fine film before, you will probably waste one on the 6 sheets in the pack "learning how to apply it eaxatly - it takes a lot of care and patience.

The end result is that the only appearance change is that the screen looks a bit more glass like. It only enhances the image apearing on the screen and certainly has no adverse effect on the screen's clarity.

The nice thing too is that when it ever shows any sign of wear, you simply peel it off! It adds no bulk to the camera screen as the film must be less than 1mm think!

A simple and effective option and you can do 12 applications from the 6 pack - all for about AU$19.00 (or even AU$15.00 if you push for a discount) - so it's cheap too.

I have the same stuff on my iPhone and my Canon and it certainly protectes the screen perfectly.