The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backfocus Noctilux 1.0 and 50mm ASPH

grappa

It sure seems that this must have been covered here but I must be searching for the wrong terms. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd sure appreciate it.
I have both a 50mm Noctilux and a 50 mm asph Leica brand lens. The Nocti is newer and coded and the asph is uncoded,not that this should matter.
Both of the lenses need to be focused quite a bit forward of the focus point
to achieve a sharp focus. This seems to be true at fully open to stopped down.
None of my other lenses exhibit this problem. The 90 and 70 and 35 are spot on. Even my old Elmar 50mm is dead nuts.
The same problem exists on my M8.2 as well as my M9. I had hoped that the M9 might be a cure for this but it seems not.
Much has been said about this problem in a Google search but so far I cannot seem to get anything definitive for a cure except sending the lenses to Leica or adjusting my focus. Sending the lenses to Leica,according to some people, is not only slow but fails to fix the problem. Somebody in the States must know of an alternative service center for Leica repairs who can fix this ?
Gosh my Nikon is easy in comparison.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
There's a solution ... give Don Goldberg a call. (www.dagcamera.com). He adjusted my first Noctilux perfectly and can calibrate all of your lenses/body for you better and faster than Leica.

grappa

Thank you Graham.I have seen this name before. He's only about a 2 hr easy drive from me too.
If the weather was not so crappy right now I would probably take a ride and drive them up to him next week,but we just got hammered with over a foot of snow by my house.
It would be sooo great to be able to use my Leica gear correctly.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Don would be my first choice and he will need your preferred M body to be sure he has the calibration perfect. This may take a few attempts to calibrate your entire system . I have found that it helps to include a print out of your test (ruler?)

Don t assume its right you still have to retest the system when you receive it from Don. He has a good batting average but it sometimes requires fine tuning. Be sure to test for infinity and a few intermediate distances as well as close focus.