The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Christmas came a little late this year...

jklotz

My M9 arrived yesterday. Overall I'm really happy. A few observations:

Some of the CV lenses I used on the M8 don't stand up to the Leica's I've been using. Much more so than on the M8. One exception is the little 35 color skopar.

ISO 640, 2.5 1/30th

The 75 sumarit really sings on this camera. Here's handheld, 1/20th wide open:

The shutter is much better than the M8. I seem to be able to hand hold this thing to well below what I could have with the M8. Also, I know the iso is supposed to be only a stop better than the M8, but IMHO, it has a better look to it. The highlight retention, color and sharpness of the high iso files seem much better. Here's the CV 50 Nokton @ 1.5, handheld @ 15/th, iso 1250

I've only had it for a grand total of 12 hours, and 8 of those were spent sleeping, so I have a lot of testing left to do, but I'll try to report back with my findings when I do.

Overall, I'm very pleased.

Lloyd

Congrats on the new camera. Very nice shots, and now we're looking forward to seeing much more!!

jklotz

I am still noticing some IR issues with it. Is anybody still using IR filters? The sweater this guy had on was black when I shot it :eek:

jklotz

I have been using LR beta 3. I suppose I could give it a go in C1 and see if it is any different. Here is a shot of a black bag, no filter, balanced to the color checker. No question there is still some IR there, although a whole lot better than the M8...

[/IMG]

jklotz

As a followup to my 1st comments, I thought I'd share my experiences with the M9 after 2 weeks. Hope I'm not :deadhorse:

1) it still has IR issues, although better than the M8. I plan to experiment with some of my IR filters I still have.

2) Some were complaining about shutter lag. For me, it's a non issue. It shoots quicker than I can think - I don't know what they were talking about.

3) colors are much better than the M8. A tad exaggerated in the reds, but otherwise very rich and rewarding.

4) much cleaner longer exposures than the M8 had.

5) My little CV 35 skopar is a real gem on this camera.

6) the EV comp on the back turn dial is a huge improvement. Loving that.

7) high iso is a stop, maybe a stop and half better than the M8. I don't mind the luminance noise though, it's kind of film like. LR 3 beta does an excellent job of removing the chroma noise.

8) formatting/viewing/chimping is painfully slow. I'm told there is a firmware update in the works for this.

9) I miss the little screen on top telling me how many frames I had left on the card.

10) hotshoe is very tight.

11) overall IQ is absolutely fantastic! For the 1st time, I can't think of once I had wished I had my Canon instead of this.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the camera. The shutter feels much better than on the M8, and I find myself able to handhold to a 15th with my 50mm fairly consistently. Anyway, that's what I'm thinking today. Check back tomorrow....

gogopix

Subscriber
Nice rundown.
Sometimes I think the set of comments from 'real users' is better than reviews! :)

on the 35mm is that RF linked?

On #1, I would suggest caution; even on M8 IR magenta cast seemed more of a problem to fix than tolerate.

[BTW, try my profile; was a gem on M8 and may JUST take out the M9 residual. PM your email and I will send. I am [email protected] if you rather]

I saw magenta cast on DMR (though not as bad as M8 surely) and in other 'less than strong' IR coverglass sensors.

I hate to say it, but the issue is usually MM fibers and the human eye poor response (the IR is really just red we don't notice. Ever see the "sheen" on polyester? It is there)

but give the profile a try, and stay away from mercury lamps :D

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
I have been using LR beta 3. I suppose I could give it a go in C1 and see if it is any different. Here is a shot of a black bag, no filter, balanced to the color checker. No question there is still some IR there, although a whole lot better than the M8...

[/IMG]
Don't use LR, the profiles s__:rolleyes:k.

gogopix

Subscriber
ok
here are your two with M8 porofile CB, card and in image (sweater!)

BTW, your images seemed way too cool (left in Adobe RGB?). Note that there is virtually no cast, although the images are considerably 'warmed'

Victor

Last edited:

jklotz

Dynamic Range

Out taking some snaps this am. Here's one of the local Mexican themed coffee shop down the street. I am really impressed as to ability to hold details in the shadows. This scene is about as good as a test as I could think of. I did pull some highlights back and brought up the shadows in post. Very impressive actually. I'm really liking this camera :D

jklotz

I'm really impressed with the sharpness of this camera. Here's a shot with the CV35 skopar:

and a 100% crop (jpeg doesn't do it justice):