The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M-9 Shutter Options

Don Libby

In reading the M-9 instructions, I see that there are several options available. I just want to make sure I understand the function of “Discreet”. The way I read the passage is that the shutter is not cocked till you release the button and can be set for a time delay. It appears that this might be something similar to a mirror up in as much as vibrations can be at a bare minimum (so long as you’re on a tripod). Do I have this right?

Thanks

Don

bradhusick

Hi Don,
"Discreet" means it won't recock until you let go of the shutter release. "Soft" will release at half-depress, and can be combined with "discreet" if you like for the same recocking action.

Since the shutter first fires then the recocking happens, "discreet" has no effect on camera vibration in the taken picture. "Soft" is supposed to be more helpful in longer exposures as you're not pressing down with as much force/distance.

Hope that helps.
-Brad

D

disambiguated

Do I have this right?
No.

;>

Discreet mode allows you to break apart the initial shutter-click and the mechanical sound of the shutter re-cocking for the next shot. The idea is that you can take the photo, and only a soft click is heard; you keep the shutter button depressed, and then wait for a spike in ambient sound (applause, laughter, screams of terror, or whatever) to release the shutter button, which will then allow the sound generated by the re-cocking of the shutter to be masked.

You could also generate your own audio masking via a cough, or tuck the M9 beneath your photog vest or a jacket and then release the button, which will also reduce the noise others will hear.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
The soft option does reduce vibrations, and is a hair-trigger. I am very much taken with it.

Don Libby

I too like the soft option and can see using it often. Discreet mode on the other hand (since I mistook it for something else) is something I won’t be using that much unless I don’t want to cause an avalanche. You have to remember after all I shoot landscape.

Disambiguated – thanks for you explanation of the effects.

Jaapy – “hair-trigger” is a term I can relate to. :D

Don

leif e

Discreet mode on the other hand (since I mistook it for something else) is something I won’t be using that much unless I don’t want to cause an avalanche. You have to remember after all I shoot landscape.
:ROTFL: I have yet to hear the shutter of the M9, but at least here in Norway the most risky snow stays put, even when firing several M8´s at the same time. I don´t know much about snow anywhere else, though.:D

leif e

I too like the soft option and can see using it often. Discreet mode on the other hand (since I mistook it for something else) is something I won’t be using that much unless I don’t want to cause an avalanche. You have to remember after all I shoot landscape.

Disambiguated – thanks for you explanation of the effects.

Jaapy – “hair-trigger” is a term I can relate to. :D

Don
Don,

You're out in the woods at dawn after a heavy snow. You take your shot with the M9 using the "soft" setting, but then without using the "discreet" setting the sound of the camera recocking awakens the birds in the trees and they cause all of that snow in the limbs to dump down on you .... oh, my friend, you should reconsider the discreet setting :rolleyes:

BTW, when are we doing that road trip south of town?

Mark

Don Libby

Don,

You're out in the woods at dawn after a heavy snow. You take your shot with the M9 using the "soft" setting, but then without using the "discreet" setting the sound of the camera recocking awakens the birds in the trees and they cause all of that snow in the limbs to dump down on you .... oh, my friend, you should reconsider the discreet setting :rolleyes:

Mark
Good thoughts!