The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's the next "hot" lens?

Paratom

I admit that I am probably one of the fewer (or maybe the only one) who prefers the newer designs of lenses.
I prefer the 75 Summarit over the 75/1.4 because I can focus it faster, more accurate and plus I find the 75/2.5 deliever IMO better IQ without being clinical.
I prefer the 35 Summarit over my older 35 Summicron (non asph) and my 35asph Lux because it just delievers better IQ than the 35cron, and it doesnt suffer from focus shift as the 35asph lux does (slightly). (I admit though that I miss f1.4 sometimes at 35mm)

So for me the winners are the Summarits. Fair price, light weight, great bokeh, good IQ even wide open, reliable and fast focus.
Plus I like the metal hoods (very good protection for the lens) and lens caps.

I am dreaming about a new Noctilux but so far I can not justify the price.

Another real interesting lens is the 24/1.4 IMO which allows shallow DOF combined with wide angle which can be interesting-however kind of special application.

fotografz

I admit that I am probably one of the fewer (or maybe the only one) who prefers the newer designs of lenses.
I prefer the 75 Summarit over the 75/1.4 because I can focus it faster, more accurate and plus I find the 75/2.5 deliever IMO better IQ without being clinical.
I prefer the 35 Summarit over my older 35 Summicron (non asph) and my 35asph Lux because it just delievers better IQ than the 35cron, and it doesnt suffer from focus shift as the 35asph lux does (slightly). (I admit though that I miss f1.4 sometimes at 35mm)

So for me the winners are the Summarits. Fair price, light weight, great bokeh, good IQ even wide open, reliable and fast focus.
Plus I like the metal hoods (very good protection for the lens) and lens caps.

I am dreaming about a new Noctilux but so far I can not justify the price.

Another real interesting lens is the 24/1.4 IMO which allows shallow DOF combined with wide angle which can be interesting-however kind of special application.
I agree, I believe that was the purpose of the Summarit set. A more reasonable price point for new lenses that perform very well and are much smaller. IMO, the exception to that is the 90 Summarit which I liked less than the 90/2.8 which cost 1/2 the price.

Personally, I have the need the need for speed ... and until the M digital can shoot ISO 1600+ very well I'll have to settle for the f/1.4 and Noctilux versions for what I shoot here in gloomy Michigan.

BTW, once you shoot with the 24/1.4 what it does isn't a "special application" anymore : -)

-Marc

C

canon5dshooter

The summarits are nice but I suspect that the Konica lenses will see a nice appreciation over time. I was a little surprised to see a Konica 50/1.2 go for 2800+ on ebay the other day.

Alnitak

So, is there really something different about the German-made 75 luxes, is it another case of fantasy, like the belief the somehow the chrome 35 luxes don't suffer from focus shift? My understanding was that there was nothing different about the optical design or coatings between the Made in Canada and Made in Germany lenses. Does someone have proof that there is a difference?

Stuart Richardson

I have a German one, but as far as I know there is no difference -- I think it is even the same glass, just assembled in Germany versus assembled in Canada. I believe that was the case with the Noctilux, though they might have been entirely built in Canada with Leica selling old stock...I think I have heard that too...

ampguy

I think there is a difference. Lighter flange on the German one. All German ones I've used focused perfectly. Canadian ones slightly off.

So, is there really something different about the German-made 75 luxes, is it another case of fantasy, like the belief the somehow the chrome 35 luxes don't suffer from focus shift? My understanding was that there was nothing different about the optical design or coatings between the Made in Canada and Made in Germany lenses. Does someone have proof that there is a difference?

Jerry_R

Hi! I am waiting for M9 and consider below lenses:
- Voigtlander HELIAR 15mm f/4.5 Aspherical II
and
- Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 or Voigtlander Nokton Classic 40mm f/1.4

I am confused. Should I expect color shift in corner(s) with each of that lenses? Can we remove it in LR?
I saw some samples on flickr with M9 + VC 15mm. There was some color problem indeed, sometimes more, sometimes less visible...

Or I should STOP considering that lenses at all and buy in longer time horizon - more expensive Leica ones?
Do you think there is possible future correction, maybe with new firmware? Or Leica doesn't care for another producer lenses?

Best Regards,
Jerry_R

cdnguyen

How about the Voigtlander f1.1 . I've seen some decent pics from that lens. I shoot with 2 M8s one with the 28 and the other with the 50 lux

Jerry_R

I was thinking of 50mm 1.1 at the very beginning :) But:

- I find my style using slightly wider focals, both 35 and 40 are OK. And in fact I treat 40 almost as standard, as on Cosina page: http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigt/english/lens-top--e.html

- If I would have 50mm - I would have to buy one more lens. The gap between 15 and 50 would be too big for me.

- 50mm 1.1 is bigger and more heavy - I prefer to use smaller and lighter lenses.

Jerry_R

I used to 35mm and 85mm on 5D. Now I only miss ultra wide, so I asked about 15mm and corners issue...
I also heard about Cornerfix, wonder if it may help with that lens on M9..?

Alnitak

Jerry, head over the L-Camera forum and there is a very long thread I started about the 15mm on the M9. Yes, it will have a slight red edge, and yes CornerFix will deal with it.

Alnitak

I think there is a difference. Lighter flange on the German one. All German ones I've used focused perfectly. Canadian ones slightly off.
Yes, but optically? I am highly skeptical that there is a real optical difference.

I actually got one yesterday. It's a late-model Canadian one, and has been six-bit coded. It is absolutely mint and looks like it was almost never used. The focus is dead on and the pictures look identical to anything I have from a German lens I borrowed. The best thing: It cost half of what people are asking for the German lenses.

C

canon5dshooter

Ampguy, that is a nice looking lens. Can you collapse that puppy into an M9?

ampguy

Thanks! No M9 to try, does collapse into an M8 fine, but Leica doesn't recommend any collapsible lenses with the M8, so probably best to keep extended.

It goes back a few mm more than a Collapsible Summicron, but many mm less than an old Elmar.

Ampguy, that is a nice looking lens. Can you collapse that puppy into an M9?