The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 serial # question and buying advice

F

Fov

Hi all!

This is my first post. Anyway, I found a used M8 at a local dealer,
S/N 320xxxx. I believe it has < 1000 shutter actuations.
The price is in the upper $2's (USD).

Is this a in a good serial # range? Late, early, middle?

There are a few things that are turning me off, but I'm not sure yet..
feedback welcome:
only 8-bit raw (does this really matter?)
no multiple exposure/bracketing (ditto)
IR lenses (which may not be a big deal)

This will be my first "nice" camera purchase. I sort of figured "go for it".
I've been eying the X1 as well, as it's much less $. Also the Olympus
and Panasonic 4/3rds cameras, or even a mid-level Canon or Nikon with Leica R lenses, but the Leica really seems to be calling.

The sample M8 prints I've seen at the shop looked amazing. The greens
in particular looked much better than from other cameras (is it the glass?)

The M9, is simply too much $ for me to spend at this time.

Much thanks in advance, and glad to have found this forum!

jaapv

Subscriber Member
There is no relationship between serial number and reliability of the camera. The only exception being numbers from 3100001 to 3101500 which need to be upgraded by the factory and numbers from 3101500 to 3107500 which need a component replaced. Both these upgrades are free. After they have been done these cameras are as reliable as any other M8.
8-bit RAW is a long story. The upshot being that due to the compression method the results are equivalent to 12 bits files. Of course, as with any camera, the files need to be processed in Photoshop in 16 bits aRGB.
For the IR sensitivity IR cut filters are mandatory, as is 6-bit coding on all lenses shorter than 35 mm.
I'm not sure what you mean by multiple exposure. The M8 has a continous setting which provides 2 fps.

darkspark

...numbers from 3101500 to 3107500 which need a component replaced...
I got an M8 in an 3104xxx range second hand a while back... can you let me know what component it is? (Is there a webpage where can I find more info?) Is there a way to check whether it's already been replaced, other than calling up Leica?

S

steve728

There is no relationship between serial number and reliability of the camera. The only exception being numbers from 3100001 to 3101500 which need to be upgraded by the factory and numbers from 3101500 to 3107500 which need a component replaced. Both these upgrades are free. After they have been done these cameras are as reliable as any other M8.
8-bit RAW is a long story. The upshot being that due to the compression method the results are equivalent to 12 bits files. Of course, as with any camera, the files need to be processed in Photoshop in 16 bits aRGB.
For the IR sensitivity IR cut filters are mandatory, as is 6-bit coding on all lenses shorter than 35 mm.
I'm not sure what you mean by multiple exposure. The M8 has a continous setting which provides 2 fps.
I have the same question. My used one is also in this range, but mine had the shutter and framelines upgraded. Is it safe to assume the component was also replaced?

E

Eisemann

Jaapv:

What is the T2 component?

Last edited: